The Student Room Group

Corporate Finance vs Quantitative Finance

Hello everyone,

I am not very familiar with Finance and would like some input from you all in which course to go for.

I would like to hopefully go into work in an IB or Consultancy once I finish my education. Currently I'm in my final year of an undergraduate degree in Politics and will be going on to study for an MSc in International Political Economy at LSE. I've also done introductory courses on Microeconomics and Macroeconomics and will be taking an online course in Financial Accounting, Economics for Managers & Business Analytics over the summer this year.

After the summer course I would like to either study for one final extra-curricular course, which is either a Postgraduate Certificate in Corporate Finance at the University of Liverpool or a Postgraduate Diploma in Quantitative Finance at SOAS. Both are online courses, both are the same length and both cost the same. I would like to know which one would be more worthwhile and which would be more reputable (the University doesn't matter). Could anyone also explain the difference between both courses? I know that of course, one is more quantitative, but does corporate finance involve any quantitative work? I'd like to point out that my quantitative skills are quite rough which is why i'll be taking the above mentioned course over the summer, and of course my undergraduate degree doesn't contain any quant material. Also, I may sound naive, but what kind of roles can both offer me, if we were to say that I get an opportunity at an IB?

In my situation, with my background in Politics, would it be better if I chose Corporate Finance? Or would Quantitative Finance be better just to show that I possess the necessary quant skills needed in IB?

Links for both courses:
http://www.cefims.ac.uk/cgi-bin/programmes.cgi?func=programme&id=46
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/online/programmes/management/pgcert-corporate-finance/module-details/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending