The Student Room Group

The L plate on cars...

Hey guys, I've got my licence finally and I know what you need in able to drive, at least what the police officers will ask for if i was to be pulled over, such as :

your driving licence

a valid insurance certificate

a valid MOT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)

,i know the use of the L plate, you need a person to drive with you who has 3 years experience in driving etc, but what;s the use of the L plate, do u require anyone to be with u to assist or can you drive alone and let everyone know that you are practicing? Plus do you need to be insured on the car etc when driving with an P plate? Because I know many people who have driven with a L plate and had no insurance? I've kinda forgotten a bit of the theory i've learnt in the past. Can someone help pls :')
For the title, i meant the P plates, got confused when writing the thread lol
You don't need P plates in the UK if this is what you are asking. Some people choose them, some dont.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You don't need to keep your insurance certificate or MOT certificate in the car. The police can check these without paperwork.

You can drive alone when you have passed the test, P plates or no P plates. And yes, you DO need insurance when you drive your car, regardless of the P plates. If you drive without insurance you face points on your licence, a hefty fine and your car being seized. Also, you would be an arse.
(edited 8 years ago)
do you need p-plates- no it more to inform other drivers that you might not be as confident on the road as they are
do you need insurance- yes as @Talon said above
do you need to carry around paperwork- no as it logged digitally to the number plate other than you driving licence card which you should always carry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending