The Student Room Group

Leeds vs UCL mech eng

Poll

Do i take a year out?

Ive applied this year to study mech eng and got an offer from Leeds, unfortunately im now thinking I would be better off at UCL considering the prestige of the university. Is it worth taking a year out and reapplying??
Original post by Jbird1
Ive applied this year to study mech eng and got an offer from Leeds, unfortunately im now thinking I would be better off at UCL considering the prestige of the university. Is it worth taking a year out and reapplying??

Firstly prestige and league tables are not important. What matters is course content and how comfortable you feel where you study. There is not a vast difference between these universities.
The problem with taking this action is that there is no guarantee that UCL will accept you so you could end up going back to Leeds next year.
Only you can tell about how you feel about Leeds. If you are comfortable about it go there. If not, take a gap year and apply elsewhere.
You should not be taking decisions based on reputation, league tables or whether unis are in the Russell Group.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Firstly prestige and league tables are not important. What matters is course content and how comfortable you feel where you study. There is not a vast difference between these universities.
The problem with taking this action is that there is no guarantee that UCL will accept you so you could end up going back to Leeds next year.
Only you can tell about how you feel about Leeds. If you are comfortable about it go there. If not, take a gap year and apply elsewhere.
You should not be taking decisions based on reputation, league tables or whether unis are in the Russell Group.

Thanks for your help,
The thing is I'm strongly considering going into investment banking and suspect going to UCL would give me an advantage over Leeds? I'd say I feel equally happy at either University but I'm also leaning towards UCL because I think I wanna study in London. With regards to getting into UCL I'm predicted A*A*A*A so hopefully this wont be too big a problem although it will require some effort to rewrite my ps etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending