Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Student Accomodation Reviews for TSR Wiki

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

As many of you know, one of the big projects that is being undertaken on TSR is the TSR Wiki. The reason why we set it up was to allow an encyclopedia of viewpoints and perceptions (within reason) of various student topics. As many of you will know, views about things such as accomodation cannot be expressed on the actual wikipedia.

One of the things that we are trying to fill up at the moment is the University Guides and we would like help with the Accomodation sections.

We would like you to write up about your student accomodation in your first year and if you have completed subsequent years, we would like you to write up about your house and your area as well.

Do not worry if you are unsure abouthow to edit wikipedia, just post your accomodation review here and we will edit it in

Any Photos will be helpful along with links to the university accomodation website.

I have put an example below. It does not have to be as long as my example, but we would like to have information on the following

• Year you stayed at the accomodation
    • Cost
    • Catered/selfcatered
    • Approximate number of flats/room

St Marys College, Newcastle upon Tyne University

Sept 2006 - June 2007

Cost £2,100 per year

Self Catered

St Marys College is located two miles away from Newcastle University. It has approximately 70 bedrooms. The building used to be a Teacher Training College before conversion to student accommodation and before that the site was used as a convent.

I have enjoyed living at St Marys College. The people here are very friendly with whole flats going out together in parties to nights such as Solution on a Friday and Liquid on a Wednesday. The rooms are really big (12 x 12 feet) although you have to share bathrooms and toilets. Fortunately a cleaner comes in every week to clean these areas.

The accommodation is usually quiet making it very easy to study and sleep at night. Sometimes flats will have a flat party and its great fun.

St Marys is not very popular due to its location. Some people walk and it is roughly 30-40 minutes. Others cycle and it’s roughly 10-20 minutes (its downhill into Newcastle). The rest get the bus, which takes 10 minutes to get into the centre of Newcastle.

The local area is a little rough but everyone tends to get on.

A Morrisons Supermarket is just 15 minutes away walking.

I like St Marys College. The only problem I have with it is that it does not have a common room or a bar on site, making it a little difficult to meet people.
    Please do not put anything in that could be libellious (such as brian the porter is a prat)

Thanks for all your help

Noxid
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just made an attempt of the review for St. Peter's Court at Nottingham Uni... have I edited it properly? :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes Soph, that is great.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, a big thanks to those that have helped. I really really do appreciate what you have done.

Just a quick update

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Uni...ation_Policies

If you know your universities accomodation policy or just whether firms apply before results day and when Insurance students apply, could you add it to the above page.

For Newcastle it is: both firm and insurance students apply for accomodation before the deadline 30th June

If you are unsure, just send me a PM

Cheers
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now that a lot of you will have settled in to your student accommodation and new rented home you'll know what is good and bad about them.

Why not share this knowledge with people who'll be living there next year to help them out by writing about your unis accommodation on the TSR Wiki?

Either post stuff here, or go to edit the wiki yourself. More details on what you can write about are in Noxid's first post (or simply check out the other uni guides for ideas).

Any contributions made directly on the wiki to university guide articles this month can get you riches to spend on subs and Arcade access on TSR, so go and have a look today!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm applying for nursing and think of whitworth park - any thoughts??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone review Sussex please? Park Village would be ideal Hehe!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any reviews for rhul or queen marys?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    James Owen Court, University of Exeter

Cost: 98/week - 40 weeks
    Type: Self Catered
    Location: 5 minutes from high street, 20 minutes walk to campus

James Owen Court is a fairly large self catered hall with 200+ bedrooms, all ensuite. JOC is divided into 7 (or 8) blocks, and each block has 3-8 flats, and each flat has 5-7 people. Each flat has a large kitchen and living room featuring all the appliances needed and a tv with basic cable.

Positives:
    ensuite - saves lives
    can cook for yourself
    really close to any place you want to get food

Negatives:
    My window is facing the street, and you have the trade off of living your window open and not being able to hear anything, or leaving it closed and being hot.
    it may seem like quite a walk to campus
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Blenheim Halls, Nottingham Trent University

£92 per week October 2008 - July 2009

Self catered.

Blenheim Hall is approx. a 20 minute walk to the City campus. It has about 180 bedrooms (mainly 6 bedrooms per flat/kitchen). It's in quite an inconvenient location by being uphill, and is time consuming if you want to go home for lunch when at university. Students often find themselves getting taxis back, especially after nights out and when getting groceries. The halls is less than a minute's walk away from the bus stops if people prefer to take buses rather than walk or take taxis.

The bedrooms are shoebox sized; very narrow, with a small desk, a couple of shelves, single bed, small wardrobe space all built into one bedroom. The ensuites are better than some I have seen, with a proper shower door, standard toilet, yet a small sink. There is also a cabinet above the sink to store toiletries.

The walls are quite thin throughout the halls of residence, and you can often hear conversations through walls, other people's music (especially when the bass is on full), banging of doors and cupboards etc.

The kitchen is disappointing. There are basic cheap cupboards and electrical appliances, 6 chairs and a kitchen table. There is a SMALL fridge and small freezer for 6 people which I personally think is ridiculous, and half the students in my flat found themselves bringing their own mini fridges into their rooms. A cleaner comes once a week, but this sometimes causes more conflict, with threats from the manager to fine those leaving out dirty pots and bin bags on cleaning day. There are no comfortable seats in the kitchens, although there is a common room with a tv which very few out of the 180 people use as it is in a separate block.

There are washing and drying facilities, however these are quite costly, costing £2 - 2.50 per clothes wash, and £1 for tumble drying.

There are parking spaces which residents need to book/pay for. There is also internet (dial up?) which is really slow and you have to pay for separately, which is very annoying when you're already paying a ridiculous amount of money for the halls itself.

There's a patch of grass at the front of the halls and some at the back. There's no proper seating areas outside though which is a pity.

The security and management of the student halls is much to be desired. There is supposed to be a number that students can text if they have any complaints about other students, but this is often ignored. Many students on the ground floor have had trouble with leaking showers, lack of hot water, and the manager has done little about this, despite the number of complaints.

Many people have concerns about being in the St Ann's area, but most of this is rumour. Blenheim Hall is situated beyond the main "rough" estate areas, and you never need to walk through this areas when you walk to university. So unless you want to make trouble for yourself by entering said areas, there's not much to worry about.

There's a Londis less than five minutes away, but the main grocery shop is done in Tesco Metro in the Victoria Centre (15 minutes away). If you have a car you could go to Asda, which seems to be the preferred choice. And those with money to burn can opt for Waitrose or M&S if they so wish. Aldi is about ten minutes away but isn't the cheapest option.

Fortunately, there is a grocer van that visits the accommodation twice a day called the "chili van" (his spelling, not mine) and sells essentials such as bread, cereal, milk, meat, veg, chocolate, jars of sauce etc. Very handy when you don't feel like leaving the flat for one item, or have forgotten to buy something earlier that day.

Over all, I think Blenheim Hall is a total rip off. I recommend first year students visit Trinity Square, Glasshouse or other private halls which offer better value for money, sofas, flat screen tvs, bigger bedrooms etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostdoll)
    Blenheim Halls, Nottingham Trent University

£92 per week October 2008 - July 2009

Self catered.

Blenheim Hall is approx. a 20 minute walk to the City campus. It has about 180 bedrooms (mainly 6 bedrooms per flat/kitchen). It's in quite an inconvenient location by being uphill, and is time consuming if you want to go home for lunch when at university. Students often find themselves getting taxis back, especially after nights out and when getting groceries. The halls is less than a minute's walk away from the bus stops if people prefer to take buses rather than walk or take taxis.

The bedrooms are shoebox sized; very narrow, with a small desk, a couple of shelves, single bed, small wardrobe space all built into one bedroom. The ensuites are better than some I have seen, with a proper shower door, standard toilet, yet a small sink. There is also a cabinet above the sink to store toiletries.

The walls are quite thin throughout the halls of residence, and you can often hear conversations through walls, other people's music (especially when the bass is on full), banging of doors and cupboards etc.

The kitchen is disappointing. There are basic cheap cupboards and electrical appliances, 6 chairs and a kitchen table. There is a SMALL fridge and small freezer for 6 people which I personally think is ridiculous, and half the students in my flat found themselves bringing their own mini fridges into their rooms. A cleaner comes once a week, but this sometimes causes more conflict, with threats from the manager to fine those leaving out dirty pots and bin bags on cleaning day. There are no comfortable seats in the kitchens, although there is a common room with a tv which very few out of the 180 people use as it is in a separate block.

There are washing and drying facilities, however these are quite costly, costing £2 - 2.50 per clothes wash, and £1 for tumble drying.

There are parking spaces which residents need to book/pay for. There is also internet (dial up?) which is really slow and you have to pay for separately, which is very annoying when you're already paying a ridiculous amount of money for the halls itself.

There's a patch of grass at the front of the halls and some at the back. There's no proper seating areas outside though which is a pity.

The security and management of the student halls is much to be desired. There is supposed to be a number that students can text if they have any complaints about other students, but this is often ignored. Many students on the ground floor have had trouble with leaking showers, lack of hot water, and the manager has done little about this, despite the number of complaints.

Many people have concerns about being in the St Ann's area, but most of this is rumour. Blenheim Hall is situated beyond the main "rough" estate areas, and you never need to walk through this areas when you walk to university. So unless you want to make trouble for yourself by entering said areas, there's not much to worry about.

There's a Londis less than five minutes away, but the main grocery shop is done in Tesco Metro in the Victoria Centre (15 minutes away). If you have a car you could go to Asda, which seems to be the preferred choice. And those with money to burn can opt for Waitrose or M&S if they so wish. Aldi is about ten minutes away but isn't the cheapest option.

Fortunately, there is a grocer van that visits the accommodation twice a day called the "chili van" (his spelling, not mine) and sells essentials such as bread, cereal, milk, meat, veg, chocolate, jars of sauce etc. Very handy when you don't feel like leaving the flat for one item, or have forgotten to buy something earlier that day.

Over all, I think Blenheim Hall is a total rip off. I recommend first year students visit Trinity Square, Glasshouse or other private halls which offer better value for money, sofas, flat screen tvs, bigger bedrooms etc.

Wow so glad I found this!! This is where I was going to apply but after reading that I won't be... Will check out the others mentioned though!!

Do you know anything about Clarendon Court, Mill House or Sandby?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    any reviews for hillhead halls for aberdeen uni
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Reviews for Brunel?

And reviews for Northampton, by any chance please?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 2, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.