The Student Room Group

Oxford's views on open university degree

Hi, I'm planning to start the maths and physics degree at open university next year. Ultimately I am set on going into research in maths and physics and after browsing some courses the Oxford Msc in mathematical and theoretical physics is the one I like most. However I'm slightly worried that an open university degree will be seen as not rigorous enough for the course. Is this the case? Will I stand a chance of being accepted with an ou degree?

If it helps my A levels are A*A*A in maths, further maths and physics (after a few retakes) and I also have some supra-curricular maths such as top 100 in BMO1.

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by johnperp
Hi, I'm planning to start the maths and physics degree at open university next year. Ultimately I am set on going into research in maths and physics and after browsing some courses the Oxford Msc in mathematical and theoretical physics is the one I like most. However I'm slightly worried that an open university degree will be seen as not rigorous enough for the course. Is this the case? Will I stand a chance of being accepted with an ou degree?

If it helps my A levels are A*A*A in maths, further maths and physics (after a few retakes) and I also have some supra-curricular maths such as top 100 in BMO1.

Thanks

Why do you want to go to the open university?
Reply 2
Original post by Lucasium
Why do you want to go to the open university?

Essentially because it's cheap and their degrees are as respected as brick unis, at least fr humanity subjects. Not sure about science ones though because there aren't any practicals for instance.
Reply 3
I can't see a problem with an open university degree. Why do you?
Reply 4
Original post by Thomb
I can't see a problem with an open university degree. Why do you?

Well Oxford might, I don't know yet.
Reply 5
Well Oxford might, I don't know yet.

No seriously why do you think Oxford would have a problem with a degree from the Open university? I ask because I'm torn myself from between the Open Uni and Ordinary University.I'd like to go to the Open Uni because I'd like to carry on being self employed.

Thanks

Why don't you email them. More than likely much will depend on what you learned, the grades you achieved and your motivation factors for a postgrad course. I think oxford will respect someone who can prove not only they are good with the grades but have a more than reasonable comprehension of their subject choice.

:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Thomb
No seriously why do you think Oxford would have a problem with a degree from the Open university? I ask because I'm torn myself from between the Open Uni and Ordinary University.I'd like to go to the Open Uni because I'd like to carry on being self employed.

Simply because it's the open university and so they may have slightly different views on it. There's also the fact that it's all distance learning so for science related subjects in particular there aren't any proper lab modules (I don't think this should be a problem for me since I'm planning to do mathematical/theoretical physics but it could act as a disadvantage).
Original post by honestly
Why don't you email them. More than likely much will depend on what you learned, the grades you achieved and your motivation factors for a postgrad course. I think oxford will respect someone who can prove not only they are good with the grades but have a more than reasonable comprehension of their subject choice.

:smile:

On second thoughts the main reason I'm so confident about doing ou is that I more or less already know first year maths (through private study) and am confident about learning on my own, so it could definitely be the case that people who have done ou are simply more likely to make good researchers so that may statistically work in my favor. But yeah it certainly can't hurt to ask them :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Simply because it's the open university and so they may have slightly different views on it. There's also the fact that it's all distance learning so for science related subjects in particular there aren't any proper lab modules (I don't think this should be a problem for me since I'm planning to do mathematical/theoretical physics but it could act as a disadvantage).

On second thoughts the main reason I'm so confident about doing ou is that I more or less already know first year maths (through private study) and am confident about learning on my own, so it could definitely be the case that people who have done ou are simply more likely to make good researchers so that may statistically work in my favor. But yeah it certainly can't hurt to ask them :smile:

Unless you personally are going to miss the lab I don't see a problem with the OU. I'm sure that someone who does science at Oxford will reassure you its not a problem.
Hi, I'm planning to start the maths and physics degree at open university next year. Ultimately I am set on going into research in maths and physics and after browsing some courses the Oxford Msc in mathematical and theoretical physics is the one I like most. If it helps my A levels are A*A*A in maths, further maths and physics (after a few retakes) and I also have some supra-curricular maths such as top 100 in BMO1.

I don't think anyone can answer this question except for the admissions tutor responsible for the Oxford course. There would not be anything wrong with showing him/her the OU curriculum and asking whether or not it appeared to be a suitable starting point given that you hope to join the Oxford MSc next. If there are options associated with the OU degree, you could even ask what they suggested as being the best possible preparation for their MSc. Or you could ask whether there is anything missing from the curriculum that you should work through in your own time. I would mention your A-level grades as well.

I'm still curious about your choice of the OU, though. I get the "OU degrees are equivalent to those from brick universities" line but the truth is that degrees from brick universities are not all considered to be equivalent either. I presume you would have your pick of the maths courses with A*/A*/A*. If you are already ahead then you have a "free" year in which to do other things (extracurricular research with world leading experts, etc) while your colleagues are working through introductory modules.

If you get a 1st from the OU then I suspect the admissions tutors at Oxford will want to meet the guy who had A*/A*/A* but chose a distance learning option. I suspect they'll be very curious indeed ;-)

DOI: OU graduate, former OU Associate Lecturer, and current Oxford postgrad...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending