The Student Room Group

iPhone 6 or iPhone SE?

Scroll to see replies

After much deliberation, I've decided to buy the iPhone SE the moment I see one. I realize better camera and battery life are the only upgrades I need.
Original post by TaintedLight
After much deliberation, I've decided to buy the iPhone SE the moment I see one. I realize better camera and battery life are the only upgrades I need.

IMO of you are looking for good cameras and battery life in this day and age, iPhones are not the way to go, but they are still good for usability and build quality nonetheless.

I don't know what phone you had before so I can't judge how big of an upgrade you'll get.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Oilfreak1
I just care about battery life and physical feel. Only apps I use are watsapp,bodyspace, myfitness pal, linkedin and pulse I don't think those apps need a huge display.

I have an IP6 it's in my room i'm using my 4s in lieu of it, guess its just my own personal preference.

So you completely agree with my point then that having the same internals is pointless and your previous statement was unnecessary?
id go for SE as it is less expensive but has better features than 6 (only drawback is smaller screen)
IMO androids are probably better for things I want (battery life etc.) but Iphone 4 lyf :frown:.

batterylife wise, windows has generally been better than android (although microsoft really botched the 950xl and 950 and has only just stabilised batterlife for those devices). if your after usability, windows is good if you can survive without snapchat, amazon video, native youtube app and skygo/now tv.

otherwise go for ios 9.3 or stock android N (only available via preview on nexus devices)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
So you completely agree with my point then that having the same internals is pointless and your previous statement was unnecessary?

If the 4s had 6s features inc battery life then it would be the perfect phone for me so no.

That statement was part of my overall argument for the SE in that it's smaller size gives it a more solid feel.

So no it wasn't unnecessary to the OP either, I was sharing my opinion and preferences with op because I am also considering an SE and op could share my taste.
Original post by quasa
batterylife wise, windows has generally been better than android (although microsoft really botched the 950xl and 950 and has only just stabilised batterlife for those devices). if your after usability, windows is good if you can survive without snapchat, amazon video, native youtube app and skygo/now tv.

otherwise go for ios 9.3 or stock android N (only available via preview on nexus devices)

I can't imagine myself without an iPhone lol, not one of those diehard Apple fanboys who defend it at every turn but been with apple for so long that whenever I buy a new phone, even if I hated my last Iphone, I will always et the latest iPhone lol.
I can't imagine myself without an iPhone lol, not one of those diehard Apple fanboys who defend it at every turn but been with apple for so long that whenever I buy a new phone, even if I hated my last Iphone, I will always et the latest iPhone lol.

fair enough. in my case I just go for whatever has the best performance as long as it isnt ceramic or glass backed / can survive being dropped umpteen times from my pocket / stairs / window ledges. chances are that if samsung made the s7edge a metal backed device, I would be on that with android M with zlauncher. unfortunately, that isnt the case, so im stuck with a 1020 lumia (which itself isnt a bad phone as it has 64gb storage- already used 30gb, 2gb ram a 41 (yes forty-one) megapixel camera, can easily get 2 days batterylife out of it (used to be 3 and a half brand new but I have had the phone for 2 years and has been abused a lot - including an incident where it was accidentally run over with a car and resulted in the screen being cracked with no other issues).

chances are my next premium handset is either going to be the new nexus or the rumoured surface phone (budget handset Id probably go iphone 5s, se when the price comes down, 650 lumia, new gen moto G or a huwei p whatever lite)
Original post by SkyJP
IMO of you are looking for good cameras and battery life in this day and age, iPhones are not the way to go, but they are still good for usability and build quality nonetheless.

I don't know what phone you had before so I can't judge how big of an upgrade you'll get.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I can think of two reasons

1) android's vulnerability to virus
2) customer service provided by Apple

Then there is also a (largely personal) preference between the two phones' homescreens. iPhones looks more simple and nice to look at. Having a Lenovo tab the animation, the icons and useless widgets are all cluttered around the screen.

Then there is also a (largely personal) preference between the two phones' homescreens. iPhones looks more simple and nice to look at. Having a Lenovo tab the animation, the icons and useless widgets are all cluttered around the screen.

Customer service wise I can agree as few companies relate to Apple on this (ignoring error 53...).

Malware has never been a problem on Android. Whenever you install an app, the Play Store gives you a list of permissions (described very simply) that the app wants. People ignore this, install the app then complain about it afterwards, even though the user gave the app permission. 99%of the time it is the user's fault.

Again, appearance is personal preference, and manufacturers throw in bloat to give a "unique experience" which is really quite annoying.

I might be sounding like a fandroid but there are some little features insignificant to others that I can't live without (IR blaster for remote control, FM radio without Internet, multicolour notification LED, up to 256gb SD card storage, plus the vastly superior battery life and camera).

You will get the latest updates on iOS though, as aside from the Nexus and maybe Motorola's phones, other manufacturers ditch updating their old devices after almost 2 years (flashing a custom ROM can get you the latest OS though). From my experience this makes sense for me, iOS really begins to make devices a few years old extremely laggy, as it has done with my iPad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. It's really not.
2. Yeah good service

Having a Lenovo device has given you a bad impression of android. Android is open and OEMs are free to mess about with the OS however they want which is why some people can have a bad impression of android with companies such as Lenovo - they add bloatware making the experience laggy and 'not nice to look at'. Nexus devices are always what I would recommend for someone wanting to try out android, clean fresh interface w/ no lag because stock android + always the latest updates. Actually doing some research into Android and iOS and their advantages and disadvantages would probably benefit you. Read some reviews on the biggest android phones and the latest iPhones and this should allow you to construct a proper opinion without basing your experience on one device :smile:
Original post by eviemason
I'm due an upgrade for my phone contract soon.
Love the design of the 6 but does the practicality of the SE outweigh that?
Opinions on which to get would be great.

Iphone 6 or Iphone SE?

My answer

Spoiler

SE. :wink:
If the 4s had 6s features inc battery life then it would be the perfect phone for me so no.

That statement was part of my overall argument for the SE in that it's smaller size gives it a more solid feel.

So no it wasn't unnecessary to the OP either, I was sharing my opinion and preferences with op because I am also considering an SE and op could share my taste.

You stated you want it to have the same internals as the 6s which is not needed. Screen res, battery size, processing power etc do not need to be the same size as the 6s for them to be as good. Also the battery life on the SE is as good if not better than the 6s in preliminary testing. Do you understand that same internals aren't necessary now and your statement wasn't an opinion but factually incorrect?
You stated you want it to have the same internals as the 6s which is not needed. Screen res, battery size, processing power etc do not need to be the same size as the 6s for them to be as good. Also the battery life on the SE is as good if not better than the 6s in preliminary testing. Do you understand that same internals aren't necessary now and your statement wasn't an opinion but factually incorrect?

Would a 4s size phone with 6s internals have lower battery life than one with 4s internals? Please stop being argumentative for the sake of it you just come across as stupid.

"i'd love for"
"personally"

My opinion that I prefer the feel of thicker smaller phones is just that an opinion what I like or don't like is neither factually correct or incorrect do you even reading comprehension?
Would a 4s size phone with 6s internals have lower battery life than one with 4s internals? Please stop being argumentative for the sake of it you just come across as stupid.

"i'd love for"
"personally"

My opinion that I prefer the feel of thicker smaller phones is just that an opinion what I like or don't like is neither factually correct or incorrect do you even reading comprehension?

Not arguing with your opinion on the size of the phone just on the necessary specs, you said internals that is much more than just battery. Battery could be the same size as the 6S and it would give amazing battery life but all the other internals will offer almost no added advantages. Be more specific in your original point as that was incorrect.
I have this dilemma too. My iPhone 6S was stolen last month, and I've saved up to buy a new phone. With the SE out, I feel like it's more practical because its smaller, and has the same features as the 6, but cheaper. However, I loved having a bigger phone, BUT it was so flashy and obvious. I didn't need a phone that large.

I think an SE would be a better choice because if you get a good phone case, no one will know if its a 5 or an SE so I guess there's less incentive to steal it. In comparison with a 6, go for the cheaper choice... Think about how the extra money will benefit you in the long run if you get the cheaper phone. And anyway, who cares what phone you have!

I say go for the SE!
Not arguing with your opinion on the size of the phone just on the necessary specs, you said internals that is much more than just battery. Battery could be the same size as the 6S and it would give amazing battery life but all the other internals will offer almost no added advantages. Be more specific in your original point as that was incorrect.

If the 4s had 6s features inc battery life then it would be the perfect phone for me so no.That statement was part of my overall argument for the SE in that it's smaller size gives it a more solid feel.So no it wasn't unnecessary to the OP either, I was sharing my opinion and preferences with op because I am also considering an SE and op could share my taste.

Features include stuff like greater battery life, fingerprint unlock and the like.
I then go on to explain why I have this opinion and it's all about how it feels in my Hands/pocket.

This is the post you had a bitch fit over, I only mentioned internals after you repeated the word 20 times, it had nothing to do with my initial post.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by overthelove
I have this dilemma too. My iPhone 6S was stolen last month, and I've saved up to buy a new phone. With the SE out, I feel like it's more practical because its smaller, and has the same features as the 6, but cheaper. However, I loved having a bigger phone, BUT it was so flashy and obvious. I didn't need a phone that large.

I think an SE would be a better choice because if you get a good phone case, no one will know if its a 5 or an SE so I guess there's less incentive to steal it. In comparison with a 6, go for the cheaper choice... Think about how the extra money will benefit you in the long run if you get the cheaper phone. And anyway, who cares what phone you have!

I say go for the SE!

I don't understand how the 6/6s is large, its already so small to most people. I know its opinion but the 6 fits in all pockets and is not too big even for small hands, that's just a fact not an opinion.
I don't understand how the 6/6s is large, its already so small to most people. I know its opinion but the 6 fits in all pockets and is not too big even for small hands, that's just a fact not an opinion.

Yeah I get what you're saying. But it just felt too flashy for me... Thats probably because I'd just come from having an iPhone 5! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending