The Student Room Group

Chem Course Uni Choice

Hello everyone! I'm an international student and I would greatly appreciate your opinions on the following universities I have applied to:

UCL (Chemistry)
KCL (Chem with Biomedicine)
Edinburgh (Chemistry)
Bristol (Biochemistry)
Manchester (Biochemistry)

I've gotten offers from KCL, Edinburgh and Bristol, but I don't think I'll be getting one from UCL. I plan on picking up a job related to the pharmaceutical industry after I graduate. As I do not live in the UK, I don't really know how good are the Chemistry/bio departments of these schools and uni rankings also vary quite often. Will be great if you can give your opinion on which uni should I choose in terms of their department strength and academic rigour.

It will be helpful if I can receive some info on the cost of living in those locations too! A rough gauge of total monthly expenses excluding tuition fees would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by wuhao11
Hello everyone! I'm an international student and I would greatly appreciate your opinions on the following universities I have applied to:

UCL (Chemistry)
KCL (Chem with Biomedicine)
Edinburgh (Chemistry)
Bristol (Biochemistry)
Manchester (Biochemistry)

I've gotten offers from KCL, Edinburgh and Bristol, but I don't think I'll be getting one from UCL. I plan on picking up a job related to the pharmaceutical industry after I graduate. As I do not live in the UK, I don't really know how good are the Chemistry/bio departments of these schools and uni rankings also vary quite often. Will be great if you can give your opinion on which uni should I choose in terms of their department strength and academic rigour.

It will be helpful if I can receive some info on the cost of living in those locations too! A rough gauge of total monthly expenses excluding tuition fees would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :smile:

UCL and KCL have a much higher cost of living being in london, UK students get up to 2 thousand pounds more off the government due to this so it isnt cheap. Edinburgh is also on the expensive side.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
UCL and KCL have a much higher cost of living being in london, UK students get up to 2 thousand pounds more off the government due to this so it isnt cheap. Edinburgh is also on the expensive side.

Thanks for the info :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
I've moved this to a more appropriate forum for you :h:

Also check out this page to find more uni-specific information.

I know it's good to hear from students as well, but universities have pages like this giving you an estimation of living costs, and you can change that as you wish based on your expectations.

Good luck :h:

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending