The Student Room Group
London South Bank University
London

London South Bank University Adult Nursing Timetable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarah Green
Thanks for all the useful information. Do the shoes need to be black or can they be any colour? Are there any rules about the style or just flat and comfy?

Sorry for the late reply.

They need to be black, have to completely cover your foot and I would suggest wipe clean (for obvious reasons). I got mine in Clarks and although they are not the prettiest, they do the job :smile: x
London
Katie, can I ask you how many presentations you do throughout the year? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am also a first year adult nurse student at LSBU. This year we have had one group presentation, not sure about next year though.
Reply 23
Original post by honeypot2015
I am also a first year adult nurse student at LSBU. This year we have had one group presentation, not sure about next year though.

How has your first year been so far? What is your timetable like?
Thanks
:smile:
It does completely depend on what group you are put in at the beginning of the year. I was in a group where we had lectures at uni 3x a week until Christmas and then 2 weeks annual leave. After Christmas I was then on two placements one after the other for a total of 18 weeks (one 6 week placement and one 12 week placement). I now have study weeks until the beginning of August when I have four weeks of annual leave. Other groups have just started their placements. Obviously though, this may not be the same for next year. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 25
It does completely depend on what group you are put in at the beginning of the year. I was in a group where we had lectures at uni 3x a week until Christmas and then 2 weeks annual leave. After Christmas I was then on two placements one after the other for a total of 18 weeks (one 6 week placement and one 12 week placement). I now have study weeks until the beginning of August when I have four weeks of annual leave. Other groups have just started their placements. Obviously though, this may not be the same for next year. Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you for the information. What are the placements like? How many shifts do you do per working week? I can't wait to get started :smile:
The six week placement is a community one which could be working in an outpatients clinic, hostel, etc depending on your host trust. I worked Monday to Friday 7.5 hours each day. The 12 week placement takes place in a hospital ward - mine was a surgical ward. You work 3x 11.5 hour shifts every week and once a month a 4x 11.5 hour shift week. You and your mentor set objectives to meet during your placement to help you develop skills and confidence on the ward. It is tough but by the end you will learn a lot :smile:
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get started :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem, if you have any more questions - feel free to ask :smile:
The six week placement is a community one which could be working in an outpatients clinic, hostel, etc depending on your host trust. I worked Monday to Friday 7.5 hours each day. The 12 week placement takes place in a hospital ward - mine was a surgical ward. You work 3x 11.5 hour shifts every week and once a month a 4x 11.5 hour shift week. You and your mentor set objectives to meet during your placement to help you develop skills and confidence on the ward. It is tough but by the end you will learn a lot :smile:

This is really useful thanks.
Do all of the students get placements at Guys and St Thomas or are you placed at a mixture of hospitals?
Adult nursing students (at Southwark) are placed at Guys and St. Thomas', UCLH or Barts. You don't get a choice which trust you get although they say they take your postcode into consideration. The trust you get given is the trust you remain with throughout the three years. So you could potentially get placements at any hospitals that are within your trust but not if they are not in that trust. Hope this makes sense! 😊
Adult nursing students (at Southwark) are placed at Guys and St. Thomas', UCLH or Barts. You don't get a choice which trust you get although they say they take your postcode into consideration. The trust you get given is the trust you remain with throughout the three years. So you could potentially get placements at any hospitals that are within your trust but not if they are not in that trust. Hope this makes sense! 😊

Thanks. I will keep my fingers crossed. I'm hoping for Guys and St Ts as that is where I want to work long term.
Reply 32
Original post by Katieb55
I am currently a first year on this course. They won't give you a timetable until September because they split you into groups and you won't be told which one immediately.

For my cohort, the course started on Sept 7th with a two week induction. Then all groups began 6 weeks of theory. During theory we were in for 3-4 days per week, mostly 9am-3pm but it does vary. Once the theory as over, some groups continued theory however my group had a week of 'prep for practice' and then into our first 12 week placement on the ward. This placement was broken up by a 2 week break for christmas which every student gets. In January we continued the remaining weeks of placement then had a week annual leave to recover (trust me its needed!).

Depending where you are on placement, your shifts will vary. I did 12 hour shifts including weekends. You are not required to do nights however a lot of my fellow students did them. You'll have exams and essays due in January which is hard if you are on placement.

I then did another 6 weeks of theory, same kind of hours and am currently in the middle of 10 'study' weeks. I never anticipated to have to so many study weeks when I started the course so I am enjoying them at home doing some bank work. I have two essays due at the end of May.

After my 'study' weeks I will have another 'prep for practice' week and then a 6 week community placement then 4 weeks off for summer! Returning for year 2 on Aug 30th!

Phew that was longer than I expected. I hope its helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Katie

hi Katie, thank for all the information, I am choosing from whether this uni. or Hertfordshire. May I know how is the teaching like, does it has good support in the placement? Is it easy to access to tutors for clarification or question when doing assignment ?
Reply 33
I found the information you gave very helpful. Do you live at the uni accommodation? If yes can you tell a bit about it please?

Thank you in advance
During my first year I lived in David Bomberg house. It's great for first year as it's a good way to make friends, is close to uni and is generally cheaper than private rented accommodation in the area. It's especially good if you haven't lived away from home before because of security and support from staff.
I had lived away from home before and so sometimes felt like I wasn't being treated as an adult and found some of the rules frustrating for example if you want someone to stay overnight they need a pass by 8pm signed my staff which they must carry with them at all times.

The rooms at David Bomberg house were all ensuite but this isn't the case with all LSBU accommodation. Our kitchen was large and there was 9 rooms in our flat. There is a cinema room you can book out for a few hours to use with friends. There is also a common area with pool table, TVs and vending machine. Using the washing machines can be a bit of a pain and it's best to avoid using them on weekends or evenings as they get busy. Don't leave things in there as you'll return to your clothes in the floor.

I currently live in private rented accommodation with friends I made in halls. I love it and wouldn't want to go back to halls however I am very glad I spent my first year there.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have anymore questions. X
Reply 35
Hi Katie, thank you for your reply.
Do you know if all what you said about the timetable for your is the same for children nursing (as this is what I applied for)?

What about money? Did you manage to live with just the loans? Do you mind telling more about the loans as well?

Are you able to work while doing the course?

Last question lol. After they gave you an offer , did they contact you for an open day before September?

Sorry to be a pain and thank you for your answers. 😊😊😉
Original post by Fran.O.
Hi Katie, thank you for your reply.
Do you know if all what you said about the timetable for your is the same for children nursing (as this is what I applied for)?

What about money? Did you manage to live with just the loans? Do you mind telling more about the loans as well?

Are you able to work while doing the course?

Last question lol. After they gave you an offer , did they contact you for an open day before September?

Sorry to be a pain and thank you for your answers. 😊😊😉

For my cohort, the time table has been the same for all the nursing fields.

I am funded by the States of Guernsey and so do not get a bursary or student loan however my housemates have found it do-able. We certainly don't live a life of luxury but we do manage to go out socially and have some spare cash for things like cinema and going out. Alot of people do bank nursing whilst on the course as it is flexible. Some trusts don't accept first year nurses for bank work though. Working during placement would be tiring but some people do it. Working whilst on a stint of lectures is easily done as we are only in uni 3-4 days a week.

LSBU did a summer event in July which was an introduction to the course and a look around the accommodation etc. It was a few days long and I didn't attend and didn't feel like i missed out at all. All the info we needed was provided within the first two weeks of starting.

Hope I've answered all your questions x
Reply 37
Yes!!! You have answered all of my questions😊😊😊😊😊😁😁😁
Thank so much!!! 😘😘
It all goes so fast! I can't believe I am nearing the end of my second year! 🙈Xx
Reply 39
Lucky you and well done!!! 😊😊😊
Did you managed to get the grades given to you as conditional offer?
Do they accept people that don't meet their conditional offer? 🤔🤔🤔

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending