Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Questioning my course choice

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hi Everyone,

I am currently in my First Year studying Mechanical Engineering, MEng and since the start of Semester 2 I have been doubting if i have chosen the correct course.

Some background, at A Levels I studied maths, physics, biology and dropped chemistry at AS. Throughout A levels I always had the plan to study law... yes law. I know this is a big change from maths and sciences. I did work experience for it and built up a reasonable strong application for UCAS. However at the last minute i bottled out of sending my UCAS, if i remember correctly, because of that fact i had studied maths etc and law being so different. i had fallen in love with the romanticized version of law on the TV and even my time with the barrister, what i saw from him made me want to do it even more. Anyway instead of jumping straight into another degree i decided to take a gap year and ended up looking more into engineering, something more up my street in terms of what i studied. I managed to work at Rolls-Royce for that year, which i really enjoyed even if it was more admin and menial tasks that i undertook.

Since starting the course, i have been really struggling with the content, have fallen very far behind. but it seems not more far behind than others on my course, they just dont seem to care as much as me and have this mind set of 'its first year, only need 40%'. 1. 40% for me is touch and go right now 2. im a perfectionist, if im gunna do something im gunning for 80% in this! im not paying all this money to achieve any less.
    I dont go to alot of my lectures as i am so far behind and as you all know with these types of courses its all building on previsous stuff so if i dont get the stuff from semester 1, theres no way i can jump in at the deep end so to speak so dont see the point in wasting hours sat in lectures of more advanced stuff when i need to get to grips with the basic stuff first.

But the most pivotal thing that's meant im writing this post, is i was talking to my girlfriend about this and she asked if i enjoyed my course, could i live without it right not? and i generally couldnt really say yes to that. To be honest i dont care about the forces acting on a beam or any of the other dull aspects of this degree. dont get me wrong i like some bits. but not once has she heard me say, im really liking my degree, or i just had a really good lecture. And this just got me thinking...

What do you guys think? is it just stress and the fact im really far behind causing all my doubt or am i just doing the wrong thing?

There seem to be two issues here: should you quit your degree and should you do law instead?

If you're not enjoying your course then there's no point continuing. As long as you leave before you start the second year, you will get a student loan for a different degree - so you might as well (if you can bear it) finish the year and can get a qualification out of it. The question is... what do you do after you leave?

Personally I don't think there's much point doing a law degree unless you either have a strong academic interest in the law, or you're 100% sure you want to pursue a legal career. Lots of people go into law after having studied something else at university, it is very common indeed. The only real benefit to doing a law degree is that you don't then have to pay for the LPC course. Don't do a law degree just because you like the idea of it; do lots of research, look at degree course structures and read books on the module reading lists - that's the only way to find out if you're truly interested in the subject.

It sounds more like you've fallen behind and don't really have the motivation to keep up rather than specifically having a problem with the course. I think try and catch up and finish the year, see how it goes.

Plus engineering is a great way to get into law, well patent law, they pretty much throw those jobs at us.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.