The Student Room Group

Edexcel S4 - Friday 24th June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katiee224
Why did you find s4 easier than s3?

The questions were more standard, there aren't loads of different things that you need to know (there are only 3 chapters, although they are quite detailed) and it's just testing more distributions and stuff.

S4 is a joke in difficulty ive been studying it since yesterday after my S3 exam and it is just so easy its just hypothesis tests

S3 is more interesting but I cocked up on basic things like not knowing enough advantages and disadvantages for stratified sampling (lost 2 marks on q1) purely my fault for being a bit lazy and was like ah I know this.

Also I found the goodness of fit stuff kinda long and a lot of room to mess up on calculations.
Reply 43
Is it only me who found S3 easier than S4?

Combination of random variables was trivial, sampling was just remembering a set of answers to a set of questions which always came up, Goodness of fit is easy enough that Psychology A-level contains it, SRCC is even taught in Geography GCSE...

The only thing I found to have a steep incline in learning curve was Chapter 3 which was the introduction to CLT but beyond that.

To be fair S4 is a pretty slim book though :coma:
Original post by DeadDosu
Is it only me who found S3 easier than S4?

Combination of random variables was trivial, sampling was just remembering a set of answers to a set of questions which always came up, Goodness of fit is easy enough that Psychology A-level contains it, SRCC is even taught in Geography GCSE...

The only thing I found to have a steep incline in learning curve was Chapter 3 which was the introduction to CLT but beyond that.

To be fair S4 is a pretty slim book though :coma:

S3 wasn't hard by any means, I did sampling and SRCC in GCSE statistics, it's just that S4 has nothing to it. I was going to do D2 this year which is a massive book, of 10+ chapters i believe. And then I heard that S4 was only 3 and then me being lazy was like I'm doing S4.
This might be of interest I haven't looked at it yet but June 11 was the hardest paper with only 55/75 needed for an A https://7c9a99abd139eb14bde7da77d86ad3346f91c6f3.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYOFBYbFFYWW9iOWs/June%202011%20QP%20-%20S4%20Edexcel.pdf
Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 11.47.29.png

Could someone please help me out with part c? Don't understand the the mark scheme got 8.1257 for expected number of eggs. Its june 2015 PP.
Isn't it just the probability of only six eggs x 6 + probability of 12 eggs x12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by veconomics
Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 11.47.29.png

Could someone please help me out with part c? Don't understand the the mark scheme got 8.1257 for expected number of eggs. Its june 2015 PP.

E(X)=x1P(X=x1)+x2P(X=x2)...E(X) = x_1P(X=x_1) + x_2P(X=x_2)... where x1, x2... are all the values that X can take.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
E(X)=x1P(X=x1)+x2P(X=x2)...E(X) = x_1P(X=x_1) + x_2P(X=x_2)... where x1, x2... are all the values that X can take.

cheers mate :smile:
is there a jan ial paper for s4 or a june ial paper for s4?
Original post by tazza ma razza
is there a jan ial paper for s4 or a june ial paper for s4?

No s4 isn't on the IAL spec it only goes up to S3
Original post by ragreener1
No s4 isn't on the IAL spec it only goes up to S3

so there isn't a s4 june 15 r paper then either?
so there isn't a s4 june 15 r paper then either?

I don't know about that the R papers are reserved for the normal spec and are generally only used when there could have been a leak on the normal pper
june 13r qn 7 a - don't understand why it is -2.3262
june 13r qn 7 a - don't understand why it is -2.3262

Got a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by ragreener1
This might be of interest I haven't looked at it yet but June 11 was the hardest paper with only 55/75 needed for an A https://7c9a99abd139eb14bde7da77d86ad3346f91c6f3.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYOFBYbFFYWW9iOWs/June%202011%20QP%20-%20S4%20Edexcel.pdf

june 11 qn 6 jheeeeeeeeeeeeeze that is hard lol
Well, just starting to recap this module alongside my FP2 preparations - In terms of difficulty the module isn't too bad but is anyone finding it a lot more boring than S3?

I mean, S3 was reasonably varied, this module seems to just be confidence intervals and hypothesis tests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending