The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP3 Further Pure 3 – 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymoose12
Alright, cool. I was worried it would end up being a suprise question 7 that everyone ends up flopping. Right in between the 14 mark polar co-ordinate question 6 and the 16 mark polar co-ordinate question 8.

Yeah Euler's Identity and other complex number stuff isn't actually part of the FP3 spec; the writers of the textbook just included it (in case you don't do FP2) for a good explanation of later stuff involving complementary functions.
Original post by XxswagmasterxX
There are several ways (I think like 4) to do this question but i think using sine rule is the easiest
13223647_992694760820927_439652959_o.jpg where K is (pi - pi/6 - alpha)

great thank you!
Btw in those DE Qs where it says as dy/dx -> 0, x -> infinity... is it ok to say:

e.g. dy/dx = Ae^x
0 = A(infinity symbol)
therefore A = 0

???
Original post by JME_CHG
Btw in those DE Qs where it says as dy/dx -> 0, x -> infinity... is it ok to say:

e.g. dy/dx = Ae^x
0 = A(infinity symbol)
therefore A = 0

???

I would disapprove of that (strongly) but I'm not sure what the examiners would do.
In general don't use infinity as a number in equations; it's not mathematically correct.

Better just to say exe^x \rightarrow \infty as xx \rightarrow \infty ;
hence we must have A=0A=0 for Aex0Ae^x \rightarrow 0.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I would disapprove of that (strongly) but I'm not sure what the examiners would do.
In general don't use infinity as a number in equations; it's not mathematically correct.

Better just to say exe^x \rightarrow \infty as xx \rightarrow \infty ;
hence we must have A=0A=0 for Aex0Ae^x \rightarrow 0.

Good job I asked that Q... THANK YOU!!!
I wish you all best of luck with your last minute revision. I'll head off to bed early tonight to beat my ongoing insomnia and prepare a fully functioning brain. I'll see you all tomorrow morning but if not then i wish you all the best with the exam tomorrow. Let's smash the paper and get a step closer to our desired destinations! :smile:
Good luck everybody! And goodnight to whoever's off.

For whoever is hanging around, what would you say the hardest questions in the entire FP3 library are? Got time to do some questions now but don't want to spend time on a whole past paper so looking for some challenging ones.
Original post by 2014_GCSE

For whoever is hanging around, what would you say the hardest questions in the entire FP3 library are? Got time to do some questions now but don't want to spend time on a whole past paper so looking for some challenging ones.

I'm hanging around; always hanging around on exam discussion threads right before the exam lol.

Most FP3 questions are pretty routine, but the most challenging ones would be the most recent polar questions. I'll try to find a couple for you but it's hard to find tough ones since the older papers really didn't make an effort like the newer papers XD.

All I could find were polar questions tbh. Although I have only just realised that I didn't do the June 2009 paper which looked really nice and now I'm sad :frown:.
Can anybody help with question 8 bii june 2014?

Don't quite understand the mark scheme
Original post by SuperRoff
Can anybody help with question 8 bii june 2014?

Don't quite understand the mark scheme

Sine rule together with compound angle formula for sine.
Good luck everyone
I'll be around for an hour if anyone has questions
Btw is anyone going to bristol uni ( if u pass fp3 obvs)
Original post by IrrationalRoot
All I could find were polar questions tbh. Although I have only just realised that I didn't do the June 2009 paper which looked really nice and now I'm sad :frown:.

Thanks! Any polar questions in particular? I've done all the recent papers but I don't see why I shouldn't go over the tough questions again anyway :tongue:

Yes! It's my firm. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My insurance!
Also good luck to everyone, you'll smash it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JPencil
Yes! It's my firm. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Electrical engineering
Thanks! Any polar questions in particular? I've done all the recent papers but I don't see why I shouldn't go over the tough questions again anyway :tongue:

Certainly 14/15 if you haven't done them but otherwise Jan 13 looks nice. Older ones maybe Jan 07? Plus June 09, Jan 10 (lol I don't expect you to try all of these btw) since there's a cheeky 11 marker thrown in there :biggrin:.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending