Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Compelling Personal Reasons - Depression

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hey, so i'm just looking for some advice on whether I stand a chance to gain back a year of funding with compelling personal reasons.

    I successfully completed a foundation year in 2014/15 and transferred to a new university to complete my degree.

    When I started at the new university (in sept 2015), I slowly started to become depressed as the months went on, and by January 2016, it had gotten so severe that I decided I had to leave for my health.

    A week before leaving, I emailed my personal tutor as I needed someone to talk to about everything, however I didn't receive any reply back.

    As I didn't receive any replies for a week, I decided to finally tell my family how I was feeling (stressed, depressed, suicidal thoughts), and they came and got me from uni straight away.

    The following day my parents took me to the doctor who prescribed me some antidepressants. I then took an overdose at midnight and was rushed to hospital.

    The following day I had an emergency appointment with the doctor, followed by a meeting with the mental health crisis team.

    Now a few months have passed i've managed to get my head straight and i'm looking to hopefully go back to university (the first university I attended as I was definitely much happier there) and was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the compelling personal reasons process.

    I've managed to get a note written personally by my doctor for evidence, along with a statement from my mother with things such as dates and events in specific detail etc.

    However i'm just a little worried as I never mentioned any of this to the university until it all happened (my mother sent a letter to the university stating why I had to leave), and don't know if this will hinder my compelling reasons request.


    As far as I know, you just need the medical evidence. If you/your Mum have kept copies of any of the emails you sent to the uni trying to tell them about it, then that would help.
    • Thread Starter

    (Original post by Klix88)
    As far as I know, you just need the medical evidence. If you/your Mum have kept copies of any of the emails you sent to the uni trying to tell them about it, then that would help.

    Brilliant, thats a relief to know, thanks!
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.