The Student Room Group

2016 Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Greenfish16
Hello all,

How prestigious is the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship, exactly? Aside the financial advantage, does the CSS add anything unique to your profile?

Would you choose a CSS funded MSc at Durham/Warwick/Newcastle/et al over a non-CSS funded program at Imperial College, London?

Your thoughts please.

Well! It depends on individuals, studying on scholarships is a prestige on its own. It shows how competitive you are to prospective employyers. I have heard of a person who went with CSC over a MSc with Teaching assitance option in the USA.

if the Imperial College option comes with a sponsorship package, why not opt for it.

As for me, I would go with a CSC scholarship over Imperial college offer without sponsorship.
Reply 121
Hello all,

How prestigious is the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship, exactly? Aside the financial advantage, does the CSS add anything unique to your profile?

Would you choose a CSS funded MSc at Durham/Warwick/Newcastle/et al over a non-CSS funded program at Imperial College, London?

Your thoughts please.

@Greenfish. I guess Fembas has said it all. Also, the CSC is a prestigious scholarship that can easily get you a fully funded Phd opportunity in the future. If you apply for a Phd scholarship and they see that u are a csc scholar during ur masters, then ur chances obviously increases. Apart from Phd, as Fembas said:CSC should increase your prospects of getting ur dream career job. CSC will also enable you to network with different scholars from different parts of the world and this creates more opportunities for future partnerships in your area of interest. But we must understand that our success in life can not be determined by scholarship alone. It's just unfortunate that the education system of my home country Nigeria is poor and that is why we need to learn and get well trained in a developed country like UK. For example, there is no university in my home country that offers renewable energy either at masters or bachelors level. In general the CSC gives you a chance to be a well-trained expert in vital fields needed for the development of your home country. Studying in the UK will cost you about 30,000 pounds for a top notch school and only few students from developing countries can afford this and I guess that's why the CSC is unique.
Great points. The CSS is indisputably prestigious.

@Fembas, @Pompey Considering the mentioned points from your posts, if you have a fully funded offer at Imperial College (tuition + maintenance allowance) and a Commonwealth Shared Scholarship award at Warwick, Durham, Newcastle, et al, which would you guys choose?
Reply 123

@Fembas, @Pompey Considering the mentioned points from your posts, if you have a fully funded offer at Imperial College (tuition + maintenance allowance) and a Commonwealth Shared Scholarship award at Warwick, Durham, Newcastle, et al, which would you guys choose?

I want to believe that your heart goes with Imperial college (IC) being highly ranked. I believe choices must be guided by your choice,passion and prospective.

If there is sponsorship in place in Imperial college, I can say go for it only if the offered course is in line with your ambition not because of IC's ranking
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 124

I guess it would depend on programme ranking and rating ... if the programme u were accepted in at imperial us betr for ur interest or is ranked higher then that may b a sensible option, additionally location i believe imperial is in London which will be more "fun" for some ppl who like dat vibe,others may be inclined to choose otherwise based on the inability to focus in busy environments, also cost of living will be significantly higher , another condition u ought to consider is the ability to stay on after, im not sure what country u r from but with the css u hve to leave sometimes missing graduation proceedings....
Reply 125
@mustapha,I am from Kenya and I was nominated by University of Glasgow just like Pompey4.The agency input sections have been Marked Satisfied but my application has not been moved to the CSC...@Pompey4 has your application been moved to the CSC?
Reply 126
Original post by Mustapha1992
MSc Economics. I have not received any information from Leeds on the same but my EAS Profile has all sections marked 'SATISFIED'. I do hope for a positive outcome.
Anyone from Kenya?

@Mustapha1992 ,I am from Kenya and I got nominated by University of Glasgow just like Pompey4.All the agency input sections have been completed satisfied but my application has not been moved to The CSC..@Pompey4 has your application at Glasgow been moved to the CSC?
Reply 127
Original post by fembas
Congrats once again bro

@Pompey4 ,I am from Kenya and I got nominated by University of Glasgow just like you.All the agency input sections have been completed satisfied but my application has not been moved to The CSC.. Has your application at Glasgow been moved to the CSC?
Reply 128
H
Original post by RAYZ25
@Mustapha1992 ,I am from Kenya and I got nominated by University of Glasgow just like Pompey4.All the agency input sections have been completed satisfied but my application has not been moved to The CSC..@Pompey4 has your application at Glasgow been moved to the CSC?
Hi Rayze25. Congratulations. My agency input section has been filled by Mrs Linda Kyle but it has not moved to CSC. Am sure it will move this coming week. Which course were u nominated for?

h
Reply 129
Hi Pompey4.Thanx a lot and congratulations.My agency input section was also filled by Mrs Linda Kyle on 30th,April..I was nominated for Msc Economic Development.
@Greenfish, pompey and fembas have commented pretty well, but I still blv dt some scholarships ar more prestigious dan others, from an emolyer or phd selector point of view: as prestigious as css is, it can't b compared with wt u will get from ICL bcos csc involves student frm 53 countries or thereabout and student from all over the world compete in ICL, morova its among first 10 in the world, its lik comparing clarenford scholarship in Oxford to css. Another thing like eygal has rightly said is stayn after d programme which practically impossible wit css except ur funding for phd is secured. if the course is in line wit ur career plan pls go for it.
Original post by Pompey4
H
Hi Rayze25. Congratulations. My agency input section has been filled by Mrs Linda Kyle but it has not moved to CSC. Am sure it will move this coming week. Which course were u nominated for?

h

Congratulations bro..I believe you will make it.
You can reach me through [email protected].
Congratulations once again to all who have been nominated for CSS 2016.
Reply 132
@Fembas has Mr James Fox contacted you about your application?
Reply 133
Original post by Birdee
@Fembas has Mr James Fox contacted you about your application?

No. He hasn't
Reply 134
@Fembas I emailed him today and he told me that if I did not hear anything that means my application is still being assesed.
Reply 135
Okay. Wonder why he hasn't replied my mail.
Anyway, there are other options I am hoping on
Reply 136
All the best bro
Reply 137
Original post by Birdee
All the best bro

What is your course at Newcastle? And which other schools are you hoping for?
Reply 138
I guess Leeds is probably the worst school to apply for a scholarship.

Well, I thank God for Glasgow, Warwick and Kent.
Reply 139
@Pompey have you accepted or rejected any of your scholarship offers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending