The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Don't worry, even if you do get a bad result it won't affect your University chances, if you already have an offer. If your highers are good enough, the Advanced highers wont really matter.

I'm taking AH English next year, due to the fact English is my favourite / strongest subject. You dont really need to worry about exams for the AH English, as 60% of your overall grade is coursework!
Reply 2
Gregpicard
You dont really need to worry about exams for the AH English, as 60% of your overall grade is coursework!

Well, 70%, if you do creative writing, or 40% if you don't. :smile: It's 30% lit. exam, 40% dissertation and 30% creative writing or textual analysis (or linguistic-y stuff), of which the latter two are exams too.

I think a good grade is pretty attainable if you work hard at redrafting dissertations and study your texts lots. (Not that I did, but umm yeah...in theory :p:). It's a really good AH, in my opinion. ;yes;
Reply 3
the_elusive_musician
Well, 70%, if you do creative writing, or 40% if you don't. :smile: It's 30% lit. exam, 40% dissertation and 30% creative writing or textual analysis (or linguistic-y stuff), of which the latter two are exams too.

I think a good grade is pretty attainable if you work hard at redrafting dissertations and study your texts lots. (Not that I did, but umm yeah...in theory :p:). It's a really good AH, in my opinion. ;yes;

Ahh my apologies, i was told it was 60%. I'll be taking Creative Writing for sure, it's a passion of mine, so 70% is fantastic! I don't understand why it isn't included in the Higher course, it can be most helpful (eg. Aiding in techniques for Critical Essays / use of language in Close Readings).
Reply 4
Gregpicard
Ahh my apologies, i was told it was 60%. I'll be taking Creative Writing for sure, it's a passion of mine, so 70% is fantastic! I don't understand why it isn't included in the Higher course, it can be most helpful (eg. Aiding in techniques for Critical Essays / use of language in Close Readings).

Yeah, I agree - it really should be part of Higher. ;yes; It's one of my favourite parts of English.
Reply 5
pauline_lg
I don't know whether I should take it in 6th year or not... I really like reading and stuff, I just don't know if I could handle the dissertations, creative writing etc. And it might end up that my grade is important for university and don't want the risk of walking into the exam and not being able to do an essay or something!!!

What do you think???:redface:

AH English kept me sane this year, I highly highly highly recommend you take it :smile:
It's great if you love English - there's such a scope for freedom, you can more-or-less study whatever you want for your dissertation and the creative writing just ends up being quite fun :smile:
Also, the exam is only worth 30% of your overall mark :biggrin:
Gregpicard
I'll be taking Creative Writing for sure, it's a passion of mine, so 70% is fantastic! I don't understand why it isn't included in the Higher course, it can be most helpful (eg. Aiding in techniques for Critical Essays / use of language in Close Readings).

In Higher this year we did a Creative Writing piece as one of our NABs as opposed to doing a Discursive Essay - much more enjoyable I thought, though I suppose some people might not agree!
Cute_Penguin
In Higher this year we did a Creative Writing piece as one of our NABs as opposed to doing a Discursive Essay - much more enjoyable I thought, though I suppose some people might not agree!

So did we :smile:

I'm doing AH next year, and quite looking forward to it. I'm glad to hear the exam's only 30%, because writing under that amount of pressure isn't my strongest area :s-smilie: