Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Struggling with Fine Art Masters

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hi there,

I'm currently attempting to apply for a masters in Fine Art. Originally I had my heart set on the RCA but as I just missed out on a 1st I doubt that's going to happen...

I'm feeling a little daunted by it all as I feel a little behind in terms of my art practice. During my BA it took me a while to figure out my artistic direction and so I decided to take a year out to try and build up my portfolio a little and to hopefully save up some money. Things didn't quite work out as planned and so I'm now in a lot of debt and have made 0 new contributions to my portfolio.

Basically I was just hoping there were some others considering an MA who are also feeling a little daunted by it and if there's any advice they could give me on applying and trying to get some productivity back. Also about how they coped financially throughout it, I know that there's funding I can get but it wont quite cover everything.

Have you looked into a career development loan? That's how I funded mine.
    Most people feel daunted by the Masters, so you shouldn't pay attention to that. But if you're behind with your art it might be worth asking yourself if this is what you want to do. In terms of getting accepted it may not be an issue, but in terms of motivation it could be, and there's no point shelling out to do something you're not driven to do.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.