The Student Room Group

Can't decide on a-levels!

I'm in year 11 and we have to say which a levels we want to choose now (we can change them if we want) and I'm having trouble choosing my subjects.

I really enjoy history so I'm definitely choosing that. I also want to choose biology or maths to have a science subject but I'm not sure for my last. I was thinking maybe geography, would that be a good choice?

If you have any tips on how/what to choose please say, thank you!!
What do you want to do in the future?
Have you got any ideas what you want to do after A Levels, for example a university course? :smile:
I'd say they're good choices. If you don't know what you want to do in the future, they'll definitely keep your options open (I'm not sure what career I want and I do history, biology, English and German). The main thing is, choose subjects you both enjoy and are good at! c:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently studying maths, biology, chemistry and geography at AS level. I would say study subjects you are definitely interested in and ones that you like a lot. Of all the subjects I'm studying I would say that geography is the easiest but has the most work. If you have any ideas for what you want to do as a job in the future, it might help you have some ideas for what A-levels to take. But at the end of the day, study what you want because you are most likely to put effort and work best for subjects you love! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Vikingninja
What do you want to do in the future?

Unfortunately no, I don't really know what I want to do as a career. I've thought of psychology, but not enjoying biology that much.
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1741
Have you got any ideas what you want to do after A Levels, for example a university course? :smile:

I thought about psychology maybe? But I've heard it's very popular so hard to get into psychology courses.
Reply 7
Original post by zombie-dance
I'd say they're good choices. If you don't know what you want to do in the future, they'll definitely keep your options open (I'm not sure what career I want and I do history, biology, English and German). The main thing is, choose subjects you both enjoy and are good at! c:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by cassie05
I'm currently studying maths, biology, chemistry and geography at AS level. I would say study subjects you are definitely interested in and ones that you like a lot. Of all the subjects I'm studying I would say that geography is the easiest but has the most work. If you have any ideas for what you want to do as a job in the future, it might help you have some ideas for what A-levels to take. But at the end of the day, study what you want because you are most likely to put effort and work best for subjects you love! :smile:

Okay thanks! I'm taking advanced maths now for GCSE, and I think it's okay, but is it worth taking maths a level because it's a good subject to have as an a level? Or is quite difficult and not worth taking? :smile:
Reply 9
It depends whether you prefer the more social/artsy side of psychology or the science? If you are applying for the more social one I'd say go with 2 humanities and a science or 3 humanities and if a sciencey based on maybe go for 2 science based subjects as apparently, according to my friends that have gotten in for psychology, you can get a lowered offer dependent on how many science subjects you do. Overall do what you are best in rather than what you think you should do as good grades leave you with limitless options.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest