I'm interviewing for several marketing grad jobs at the moment and thought it would be useful to get a thread started on interview questions so we're all better prepared.
I'll start with three...
1. Why do you love marketing?
2. Tell us about a marketing campaign that you have been impressed with lately and why?
3. What is our marketing team's purpose? (A little open...!)
Marketing interview questions
|TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >>||17-10-2016|
- 1 follower
- 0 badges
- Thread Starter
- 29-03-2016 16:25
- 1 follower
- 1 badge
- 30-03-2016 11:26
I just had an Assessment centre with Sky and they asked some horrific questions in the phone interview and normal interview (pretend they are generic questions):
- What was/is your favourite Sky marketing campaign and why?
- What attracted you to working for Sky and why does this appeal to you?
- At Sky we offer a range of programmes and opportunities. What aspects of the Marketing programme appealed to you and why did you choose to apply for this specific programme?- What is it specifically about the Sky marketing team that excites you? (they seemed to have a lot of repeat questions)
Then it got harder.
- In what way is the Sky marketing team innovative?
- How does Sky's Marketing activities integrate with the wider corporate strategy?
- Who is our target demographic?
- Are billboards a good media tool to reach our target demographic?
- How should we compete with Netflix/Amazon/Now TV?
- What new opportunities and industry trends should Sky investigate?
- If Sky were to launch a gaming channel, how would you promote this new channel?
It was only for a summer internship! Only about 10% of the questions asked were about me and my competencies which took me wayy off guard. So remember to research the company loads!
Hope some of these are helpful! (i have my answers to these questions if people are applying to sky and want them)Last edited by Chamchu; 30-03-2016 at 11:26. Reason: formatting
- 0 followers
- 1 badge
- 12-04-2016 11:45
From my experience, marketing interview questions typically need you to have good knowledge and focus on 3 things -
1) What do you know about the company?
This doesn't mean the company founding date, but instead the company products, it's market, who it's competitors are, why a customer would choose them.
2) Know the customers
The job of every marketing team is to know their customers better than anyone else, understand what they want and then how to 'market' to them. Having a good understanding about who the customers of a company are or might be, and showing you can relate and market to these customers will set you in good stead.
3) Your marketing skills
Unfortunately, you cannot get by with 1 & 2 alone. You then need to apply your marketing experience and theories to the customers and the market/products to answer questions like; 'how would you grow our user base?'. You need to know the market and product, the customers and their motivations as well as some marketing knowledge to answer those questions well and not be generic.