The Student Room Group

Can't recover from a failure

This is something that I have realised quite recently.
I feel like I have not fully recovered from a massive failure.2 years ago I found myself in clearing after having had worked so damn hard for 2 years.Resitting Alevels wasn't an option if I was to apply again for the same course just to get into a university whose offer I had missed.So university was the only choice.
I didn't put in much work in first year because then I was doing additional work (Alevel revision) in order to transfer universities.Unfortunately my course varies between universities so entry is to 1st year only.I found out I didn't make my transfer so had to return to my current university for 2nd year which I am currently in.
I can't be bothered to do anything whether it be applying for placements, revising or work experience.Whenever I try to do anything I get this "why bother, you'll fail again like you always do?" voice in my head and before I know it I have given up. If I get a bad grade (not necessarily a fail) I will be OK with it,it doesn't bother me at all.It saddens me because 2 years ago I would have never accepted a mediocre result. I remember one of my Alevel teachers saying to me just before I left 6th form "your work ethic is incredible don't you ever lose it". I want a first class but my work ethic , determination I have always had from a young age have perished.

N.B 3rd year makes up 50% & 4th year makes up 50% of my final degree classification so I haven't eff'd up yet.

Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
This is something that I have realised quite recently.
I feel like I have not fully recovered from a massive failure.2 years ago I found myself in clearing after having had worked so damn hard for 2 years.Resitting Alevels wasn't an option if I was to apply again for the same course just to get into a university whose offer I had missed.So university was the only choice.
I didn't put in much work in first year because then I was doing additional work (Alevel revision) in order to transfer universities.Unfortunately my course varies between universities so entry is to 1st year only.I found out I didn't make my transfer so had to return to my current university for 2nd year which I am currently in.
I can't be bothered to do anything whether it be applying for placements, revising or work experience.Whenever I try to do anything I get this "why bother, you'll fail again like you always do?" voice in my head and before I know it I have given up. If I get a bad grade (not necessarily a fail) I will be OK with it,it doesn't bother me at all.It saddens me because 2 years ago I would have never accepted a mediocre result. I remember one of my Alevel teachers saying to me just before I left 6th form "your work ethic is incredible don't you ever lose it". I want a first class but my work ethic , determination I have always had from a young age have perished.

N.B 3rd year makes up 50% & 4th year makes up 50% of my final degree classification so I haven't eff'd up yet.

Any advice?

Why is resitting a-levels not an option for you? Could you not enter as a private candidate and self study or distance learn?

You need to get your motivation back; just think, you're getting in debt £9000 a year for the degree you're on; you don't want to waste it by getting a bad grade like a third or a 2:2. A degree is not like a-level where could just turn up to class and do homework and still get B grades, it needs serious time and effort putting into it. Start by learning what your taught in class on the actual day they teach you it

If your having problems with self-esteem/ confidence you could be depressed and it might be helpful for you to go and see a councillor or get private tuition from a helpful and positive tutor for the work you're studying

I hope this helps
Reply 2
My parents weren't having me resit Alevels because it would be a 'waste' of a year.
So I re-sat my Alevels whilst doing first year as a private candidate.

Thankyou so much.Its not that I'm depressed, have confidence/self esteem issues, I feel absolutely fine.It is just motivation to work that I can't seem to get back. I will try and find it.
Thanks again for your reply!
Original post by Anonymous
My parents weren't having me resit Alevels because it would be a 'waste' of a year.
So I re-sat my Alevels whilst doing first year as a private candidate.

Thankyou so much.Its not that I'm depressed, have confidence/self esteem issues, I feel absolutely fine.It is just motivation to work that I can't seem to get back. I will try and find it.
Thanks again for your reply!

Why are you resitting you a-levels though? Is it to get into a better uni? Remind your parents that most graduate job applications want a certain amount of ucas points or minimum grades nowadays anyway (McDonalds wants you to have BBB, for example) so if you resat it wouldn't be a complete waste of time and you wouldn't have to waste a year after you graduated resitting them anyway

Quick Reply

Latest