The Student Room Group

Top 5 favourite Shakespeare plays?

For people who enjoy Shakespeare's plays. What are your top 5 favourite plays of his? Here's my top 5:

1) Titus Andronicus
2) Hamlet
3) Macbeth
4) Midsummer Night's Dream
5) King Lear
Reply 1
Don't know about top 5, but I've always enjoyed Much Ado About Nothing. The 1993 film adaptation is pretty good too.
Only read Romeo & Juliet and Macbeth (at school), liked them both. Just started The Tempest recently (Alexander Text) and it seems pretty awesome already. Love the grit and raw honesty so much.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
1. Hamlet
2. Macbeth
3. Midsummer's Night's Dream
4. Romeo and Juliet
5. Henry V
Reply 4
The Tempest. I mean, come on. Henry V, I have memorized the St Crispin's day speech. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Alfed
The Tempest. I mean, come on. Henry V, I have memorized the St Crispin's day speech. :biggrin:

Really? Why? I've never actually read Tempest -- I watched the Helen Mirren one, though, and I can't say I was much of a fan; put me off reading it entirely.
Reply 6
Original post by iliacl
Really? Why? I've never actually read Tempest -- I watched the Helen Mirren one, though, and I can't say I was much of a fan; put me off reading it entirely.

I read it in school and it stuck with me. More so than MacBeth. I love Italy of the period too. And like Machiavelli and the magic in it is fun too. I know the historical figures. So that is why I like it. You should read it, if you are interested in those things I have mentioned. Helen Mirren isn't a very good actress. Prospero is the main star and character of The Tempest. Not the people he was working to undo and manipulate.

Quick Reply

Latest