The Student Room Group

Mature student at freshers week

OK so I am a first time uni student at the grand age of 28, I have very few worries about the course but not so sure about the social side. Is it acceptable for us mature students to be pulling all night benders with the younger ones? Is it seen as creepy or weird? I really want to enjoy the social side but also don't want to be that creepy old dude. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's definitely not creepy/weird, there was a guy in my year in first year who was 29 when he started, and he went on all-night benders with a group of 19-23 yr olds all the time. They'll probably see you as being a lot wiser since you are older.
Original post by Leedb
OK so I am a first time uni student at the grand age of 28, I have very few worries about the course but not so sure about the social side. Is it acceptable for us mature students to be pulling all night benders with the younger ones? Is it seen as creepy or weird? I really want to enjoy the social side but also don't want to be that creepy old dude. Thanks

Not weird or creepy - there are people of all ages at uni. I had loads of older friends when I was an undergrad. :woo: Lots of folks around your age who'll be going out with the younger ones. You won't be the only one and you definitely don't have to live like a hermit because you're a bit older!
Reply 3
Just relax and go for it! You could always attend the mature students' events too and see which suit you best.
Reply 4
Original post by Leedb

i think of this, am i gonna look weird because i'm raving with the younguns? but then i remember 25 isn't old an neither is 28 so don't be worrying about it, just go an have a laugh its all good you can teach the kids how it done lol
Reply 5
I don't think it's creepy but I have the same worries. I want to fit in and be liked but I neither have the energy nor desire to always be out. Trying to run a business, work and ft study..ill be cherishing the nights out because they'll be rare special occasions :wink:
Reply 6
I have been thinking about this and I am 38, will just need to see what the age range of people is.
Im 26 and moving to wrexham to study from belfast..im freakin out a bit about that aswell but hopefully itll be fine lol
Reply 8
After the first pint it will all become natural :wink:
Reply 9
I was 32 when I started uni and I didn't attend any freshers week events as I was convinced I was 'too old' and wouldn't fit in, in hindsight I regret it as the other students didn't really care about my age once they got to know me. I'd suggest going along and if it's not for you then you can always leave early :smile:
I agree with the all the previous posts. I went back to uni at 31 to study medicine. I was a bit paranoid about it and thought it would seem weird, but I do love going out and having fun.

I just thought screw it I have every right to be here and enjoy myself. But I soon realised I did not need this attitude at all. No one notices your age, they notice if you are a good person and fun. Heck I used to always throw parties at mine and organise nights out.

Seriously get involved you are going to make great memories with some great people, enjoy.
Reply 11
Ive been feeling bit apprehensive about going to fresher's event by myself as I'm off campus. But I guess there will be lots of people not really in a group yet. I'll just drink and dance like no one is there :wink:
I was feeling the same (age 27, start primary education in September)

I am just going to go along and see who/what is about. I will be joining societies which reflect my interest. I am quite lucky as my uni is in my hometown so I have a social base already developed.
Reply 13
Hello!!I am worried about the same, i'm 29 and I will start uni September, but I will try to meet people of all ages, and let's see what happens!!:smile:
Reply 14
Are you all campus based or off campus? I'm off campus so can't even tag along with roomies :/
Reply 15
I'm a 37 yo commuter. Ive booked a budget hotel for Freshers week, but dunno if I'll bother. It doesn't help that there's no info about timetables/schedules, that would give a better idea of things and help me to plan. We're not all 18 yo moving in to halls the weekend before.
Reply 16
Original post by Wotcher
I'm a 37 yo commuter. Ive booked a budget hotel for Freshers week, but dunno if I'll bother. It doesn't help that there's no info about timetables/schedules, that would give a better idea of things and help me to plan. We're not all 18 yo moving in to halls the weekend before.

Booking a room sounds like good idea. If I'd planned ahead I would have done it. I got my fresher's info through this week. Have you tried Facebook groups/pages?
Reply 17
I went to uni at 28 as well. I had no issues with students and zero with staff. In fact a lot of staff welcome mature students lol.
Reply 18
Original post by ~Tara~
Booking a room sounds like good idea. If I'd planned ahead I would have done it. I got my fresher's info through this week. Have you tried Facebook groups/pages?

I only booked it yesterday, been keeping an eye on prices.
I have been looking around on social media, but it's all Fresher's fancy dress parties and events on the moving in weekend.
Original post by Leedb

Try being 51 years old! I would be that creepy old dude so apart from Mature Students Society (maybe) I think I'll give the social side a miss during Freshers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending