The Student Room Group

Unfair driving test

Has anyome done there test in rhyl . Just had my 4th yesterday and failed. The first two test i agree but the test three and four i don,t agree and feel iv been conned out money. The 3rd test i got 10 minors and 2 major faults.1 was he said i never saw a 30 mph sign which i did and i cut a roundabout when going straight on,but it was empty and no road markings that was a minor not a major fault. On my forth test i drove even better fixing the faults the examinor said i made in the last test. But this time i got 15 faults including 1 major for going to slow which is total rubbish because it rained on the test so i was more careful and some roads where windy narrow and potholes and on the A55 due to other cars i could,nt over take so had to stick to about 55mph. The examinor said i had a van flashing his lights and getting inpatient but i was looking in the mirrors regurly. There was a Van behind me on the A55 but i could,nt go any faster because of traffic and i never saw that happen. The examinor seemed to like to put faults down where there is none. Like i got 3 for hesitation because some turnings there was a blind spot so had to edge out slowly, also three for stering iv never got that before and don t steer any different in other tests. i got an emergancy stop a hill start and an angled start which i did perfectly. The howl drive was perfect just the examinor was beyond picky. Unbelieveble just such a waste of money and time.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matt9980
Has anyome done there test in rhyl . Just had my 4th yesterday and failed. The first two test i agree but the test three and four i don,t agree and feel iv been conned out money. The 3rd test i got 10 minors and 2 major faults.1 was he said i never saw a 30 mph sign which i did and i cut a roundabout when going straight on,but it was empty and no road markings that was a minor not a major fault. On my forth test i drove even better fixing the faults the examinor said i made in the last test. But this time i got 15 faults including 1 major for going to slow which is total rubbish because it rained on the test so i was more careful and some roads where windy narrow and potholes and on the A55 due to other cars i could,nt over take so had to stick to about 55mph. The examinor said i had a van flashing his lights and getting inpatient but i was looking in the mirrors regurly. There was a Van behind me on the A55 but i could,nt go any faster because of traffic and i never saw that happen. The examinor seemed to like to put faults down where there is none. Like i got 3 for hesitation because some turnings there was a blind spot so had to edge out slowly, also three for stering iv never got that before and don t steer any different in other tests. i got an emergancy stop a hill start and an angled start which i did perfectly. The howl drive was perfect just the examinor was beyond picky. Unbelieveble just such a waste of money and time.

Can you please spell check first. This makes it unbelievable hard to read.

Secondly, if you feel so strongly about this, complain to the agency administering your driver exam.
Reply 2
I'm confused here.

Firstly, never saw a 30mph sign - that seems to imply that you were going above 30? Maybe you only saw the second one?

Secondly, 55 on an A road with a van flashing his lights. Why was he flashing his lights? Surely you were in the left hand lane, meaning he could overtake? Did you ever go into the right hand lane?
Original post by JackedMath4
Can you please spell check first. This makes it unbelievable hard to read.

Reply 4
Because I'm procrastinating, spelling and paragraphing done:

Has anyone done their test in Rhyl?

I just had my 4th yesterday, I failed. While I agree with the results of the first two tests, I disagree with the 3rd and 4th, and feel I've been conned out of my money.

On the third test, I got 10 minor faults and 2 majors. For one of these, he said I didn't see a 30mph sign (I did) and drove across a roundabout when going straight (It was empty, and there were no road markings, I feel it was a minor).

I felt I drove even better on my fourth test, fixing the faults that were listed on my last test. However, this time, I got 15 faults, including 1 major for going too slowly. I feel this is rubbish - it was raining, so I was more careful. There were also some winding, narrow roads with potholes. Due to other cars, I couldn't overtake when on the A55; as a result, I had to stick to around 55 mph. The examiner claimed that there was a van driver who was flashing his lights and getting impatient, however I was checking my mirrors regularly. While there was a van behind me on the A55, I couldn't go any faster, and I never saw that happen.

I felt the examiner seemed to enjoy putting faults down even when they hadn't occurred. For example, I got 3 for hesitation, because there was a blind spot at some turnings, so I had to edge slowly out. I also got three for steering - I've never had that before, and I haven't steered any differently in any of my other tests.

I had an emergency stop, a hill start, and an angled start, which I did perfectly. The whole drive was perfect, it was just the examiner was incredibly picky.

It's unbelievable, it's just such a waste of both time and money.
Reply 5
Original post by JoeTSR
Because I'm procrastinating, spelling and paragraphing done:

Has anyone done their test in Rhyl?

I just had my 4th yesterday, I failed. While I agree with the results of the first two tests, I disagree with the 3rd and 4th, and feel I've been conned out of my money.

On the third test, I got 10 minor faults and 2 majors. For one of these, he said I didn't see a 30mph sign (I did) and drove across a roundabout when going straight (It was empty, and there were no road markings, I feel it was a minor).

I felt I drove even better on my fourth test, fixing the faults that were listed on my last test. However, this time, I got 15 faults, including 1 major for going too slowly. I feel this is rubbish - it was raining, so I was more careful. There were also some winding, narrow roads with potholes. Due to other cars, I couldn't overtake when on the A55; as a result, I had to stick to around 55 mph. The examiner claimed that there was a van driver who was flashing his lights and getting impatient, however I was checking my mirrors regularly. While there was a van behind me on the A55, I couldn't go any faster, and I never saw that happen.

I felt the examiner seemed to enjoy putting faults down even when they hadn't occurred. For example, I got 3 for hesitation, because there was a blind spot at some turnings, so I had to edge slowly out. I also got three for steering - I've never had that before, and I haven't steered any differently in any of my other tests.

I had an emergency stop, a hill start, and an angled start, which I did perfectly. The whole drive was perfect, it was just the examiner was incredibly picky.

It's unbelievable, it's just such a waste of both time and money.

Thanks for the help
Reply 6
Yer he thinks was going over the speed limit 37 mph he said i was but i don,t believe that. It was 40 mph then very shortly after no more than 100 meters down the road it changes to 30. The test centre in rhyl use it on perpose to see if it caches anyone out and its coming to a big roundabout reason why it changes to 30, so u have to be slowing down anyway. Its the only one 30 sign and he thinkd i did not see the sign, but i know that sign is there because i did the same route in my 2nd test and since then i have practiced that route.

On the A55 (moterway) as soon as i got on A55 i stayed in left lane but i was not able move to the right hand lane as cars where passing and the cars in front where going under 60 mph, this when the van was behind me. I would think the van driver was just inpatient because of other slow moving traffic in front.
Reply 7
Hesitation minors aren't a big deal. I doubt the examiner was making things up (I won't dwell on the 3rd test, but I think it's likely you were over somewhat, maybe not 37, but that could be an accidental error based on his viewing angle). I think if he said the van was flashing you, it was, but you didn't see it. The cars that were overtaking, were they just overtaking you, or were they overtaking the car in front of you too?

Are you familiar with the two second rule? If you pick a landmark that the car in front is about to pass, say to yourself "only a fool breaks the two second rule". You should pass the landmark just after finishing that sentence.

Also, what speeds were you going down the narrow roads? You shouldn't be going slower than 15, faster if you have a clear view ahead.
Reply 8
There a were a few cars in front and alot of cars overtaking in the right lane. Overtaking me and other cars infront
Alot of cars where just staying in the right hand lane. Road was busy. I know the two second rule and i was the right distance from the car infront esp as it was raining. Any closer it would have been hard to stop if the car infront stoped in an emergancy.

On the narrow bendy road the speed limit was 60
(national speed limit) i was doing 40 mph because there were alot potholes and road was very narrow and it was raining to. There were sighs warning of very sharp bends so slowed down to 35 mph. To me that was fast enough with the road conditions.

On the third test I might of just be over 30 mph when I past the 30 sign but not 37mph that I'm sure of. But I try not to dwell it. :smug:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

In case you didn't get it, unbelievable was referring to the OP's error ......
(edited 8 years ago)
Tell you what OP, see if there are other test centres close-by that are known for taking learners on an easier route for their exam. Also, make sure you choose a time when there's less likely to be traffic (or more, depending on which you think will be easier to drive in for you personally), practise the route and try the test again. A lot of my friends chose to do their test in a nearby town simply because it was known for being a nicer route with easy roundabouts etc. The one I did had a double mini roundabout that used to trip people up so some people wanted to avoid it. Have a look into it. It sounds like you're a relatively decent driver, maybe you just need a new route so you can finally get the test over with. Good luck! 👍
Reply 11
Funny you should say that test 2 and 3 more where mostly the same route so i practised the route alot, thats why i was i should passed on the third attempt. But on forth he took me on a completly different route which id never been on. But thinking of changing test centre,s. I don,t know if you have heard of rhyl but it has very low pass rate. Only 38%. my first test was in a place called banger and drove badly was,nt ready then but i got 5 minors and 3 serias faults and was,nt very familier with roads then. In total of all the test i got less faults in the first test but more serias faults. Compare that to my recent test i drove much better but my minor faults are higher but the serias one are getting lower. It does,nt make.sence as how some of therse examinors work this out. Anyway thanks i will keep at till i pass. Thk matt
"He said I never saw a 30 mph sign" - If you didn't see it, you won't remember seeing it. I did the same thing on my test. I was doing 40 in a 30, never even noticed there was a 30 sign.

"I cut a roundabout when going straight on, but it was empty and had no road markings" - So a mini roundabout by the sounds of it... Doesn't matter if it's empty or has no road markings, you're supposed to drive around the middle, not cut through it.

"1 major for going slow... It rained on the test so I was more careful... Had to stick to about 55MPH" - Just because you thought you couldn't overtake doesn't mean you couldn't. Also, there was really no reason to stick to 55. It makes sense on some parts, but ideally, the examiner wants you up at the limit unless it's unsafe to do so. As for the A55, I'm calling you here. That's BS. The A55 is a dual carriageway throughout the entire route.

"Van flashing his lights" - Again, just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Simply blinking at the wrong time is enough to miss something.

"The examiner seemed to like to put faults down where there were none" - Again, just because you didn't know it was a fault, or didn't notice something, doesn't mean it wasn't a fault or that it didn't happen.

"3 for hesitation" - This is a case of your word against his... I'd be inclined to think you got it for something else, or it wasn't obvious that you couldn't see, thus the examiner misinterpreted it as hesitation.

"3 for steering" - Again, your word against his. You might not think your steering has changed, but that doesn't mean it hasn't.

"The examiner was beyond picky" - Well obviously... It's their job to make sure they fail people that can't drive.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
On the A55 I know it's a duel carriageway, but the thing is on the day the right hand lane was full of cars, and cars in front were going under 60 so unless I want to collide with cars in right hand lane or hit the car In front I have to stay in the left lane at about 55 mph. As regards the 30 sign I did see it. Iv practiced that route alot, I know exactly where 30 sign is. As regards the hesitation. Pulling out of a road where there cars obstructing your view of the road you want to turn into, I can't just pull out I have to edge out slowly to get a proper view of the road. I had a few of those on the test and that's were he give me a hesitation, I know why because it was a quiet morning not much cars on the road but it only takes one car u did not see and u could collide with it. You always have to look properly before moving out. As regards the steering I don't get where he got that from. At the end of the day he got me driving to safe
But your right you can't really prove it, it's his word against mine and would probably win.

I'd like to see a change to driving tests where if a person fails on one certain thing then when they apply for a re-test then only that error they failed on is examined to make sure its not repeated.
For example if in the test you failed on lane discipline but all your reversing manoeuvres were all perfect, etc then there is no reason why you need do these manoeuvres again and the test should only be a test on lanes.
I'm doing mine in Rhyl this month... Great...
I can't just pull out I have to edge out slowly to get a proper view of the road.

I never said just pull out. The whole idea of a give way junction is to not stop unless you absolutely have to, otherwise it'd be a stop junction. If you edge out and stop, that can be seen as hesitation, especially if you do it several times. You should let the car roll slowly if visibility is poor and only stop if you can't go.

On your third test, just because you saw a 30mph sign doesn't mean that you didn't miss one before it, it also doesn't mean that you slowed down to the correct speed by the time that you passed the sign. As for the roundabout, if it was two lanes approaching the roundabout, which it sounds like it was, then regardless of whether there is any other traffic or any road markings on the roundabout itself you should still take a path around it which would keep you in the correct lane if they were to be marked.

"The whole drive was perfect", well as you picked up 14 minor and 1 major fault your drive obviously wasn't perfect.
Does it mean it's unfair when you pass?
Reply 19
I totally agree with you. I had the same examiner on my third and forth test two major faults in the third which by the forth I didn't repeat but, had 1 major fault for something different. The test where only two weeks apart, and I tried to argue the fact I had him before, but he refused to answer the question.

Latest

Trending

Trending