The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just look out for an examiner called mark Jones he's very strict and miserable he doesn't talk.I can't really tell about any other examiner's apart from the guy I had on my second test I don't know his name, but he reminded me of a school head master but he was friendly. He was strict but still fair. Good luck with the test.
Reply 21
Yer I know what u mean. I slowed down till I almost stopped and edged out. That was the safest way.
Oh quit moaning. You failed the test for a reason. It doesn't matter how well you did on your previous tests, the fact is you made the mistake on your most recent test. If you can't drive at test standard consistently perhaps you shouldn't have your license yet.
Reply 23
I passed my test last week in bangor. I got only 2 minors and drove no different from my other tests in rhyl. At least i have my licence.
Hey, just failed my first test in Rhyl. Got a major for wrong gear change, accidentally went into 1 from 4th.. Which is understandable and such a silly mistake. Oh well, it happens. The examiner was quite fair though I though ( I had the woman) she was quite nice I guess. Anyways, have booked another one for July, hopefully I pass that one!
Congrats on passing at Bangor! 😀
Reply 25
I think whoever said you should only be tested on the issues that you failed the test on and not the parts you were good at.
Just like MOT the car is only retested on the defects .I think this should become law that they have to test you on the issues you failed on and not have to be put through the whole test again.
I also believe that examiners do make things up and excessively exaggerate the facts.
Time the system was made fair.
Never complain though as you will be automatically failed everytime after the complaint because they are all in league with each other and that's what's happening me. They catch you off guard and deliberately make something up to fail you.
That's the way it is in Northern Ireland anyway.
I for one believe you because it's happened to me.
One bad apple can poison the rest by making you out to be a liar and the sad truth is that the other examiners will take his part.
Sad but true!
I wonder if you'd be complaining about the system if you'd passed your test.

The system is fair. No, they don't make up faults. They may, at times, make errors.
If a test is carried out unfairly, that can be complained about and investigated
and if found to be true, a free test will be offered.

As for the "only being retested on the parts you failed on," how would that work
exactly? A driving test isn't an MOT test. They're there to make sure that they
only allow safe and competent drivers on the road. So, what if during the interim,
your overall standard of driving had fallen dramatically, but they only test you on
the parts you failed on, and so, you slip through the net?

Surely, if you're not just test standard, but also ready to drive on the roads alone,
you should be able to prove that to examiners? Why would it be a problem, unless
you can't prove it?

I've noticed how the only people who claim the test and system are unfair and
rigged are the people who fail. Not a coincidence.

In the end, we all have to go through the process if we want to drive. We all have
to jump through the hoops, and perform to standard, and complaining about it
won't help you pass any quicker.
Original post by CleverLilViper
I wonder if you'd be complaining about the system if you'd passed your test.

The system is fair. No, they don't make up faults. They may, at times, make errors.
If a test is carried out unfairly, that can be complained about and investigated
and if found to be true, a free test will be offered.

As for the "only being retested on the parts you failed on," how would that work
exactly? A driving test isn't an MOT test. They're there to make sure that they
only allow safe and competent drivers on the road. So, what if during the interim,
your overall standard of driving had fallen dramatically, but they only test you on
the parts you failed on, and so, you slip through the net?

Surely, if you're not just test standard, but also ready to drive on the roads alone,
you should be able to prove that to examiners? Why would it be a problem, unless
you can't prove it?

I've noticed how the only people who claim the test and system are unfair and
rigged are the people who fail. Not a coincidence.

In the end, we all have to go through the process if we want to drive. We all have
to jump through the hoops, and perform to standard, and complaining about it
won't help you pass any quicker.

Just simple Dunning-Kruger at work. Low skilled drivers are not experienced enough to judge their own ability, so they vastly overestimate how skilled they are.
I'll be brutally honest OP.

Firstly, your account of the whole episode is likely to contradict the instructors - and there is no way for any of us to know the truth. I am not saying you are lying, but it is possible to perceive things incorrectly.

Secondly, are you looking for sympathy? Most won't give it, maybe some who also are failing quite a bit. But it will bring you no joy or happiness.

If you have a greater mission with this whole complaint, you need to take it up with the relevant authority.

I am all for discussions and what not, but I think everyone is tired of seeing long accounts of how someones driving test was and how it wasn't their fault but the instructors. If you made a post about how gutted you feel that you haven't passed after x times and how the whole process frustrates you, great. But when you are instead labeling tests unfair and how the system is out to get you, how you deserved a pass and how the instructor is actually completely wrong, save your breath mate :smile:.
Original post by matt9980
I passed my test last week in bangor. I got only 2 minors and drove no different from my other tests in rhyl. At least i have my licence.

U had it hard? My instructor was going through withdraws during my test and was acting like a crackhead the entire time. I was driving very smoothly and slowly yet he still yelled "WATCH IT!" randomly a couple times. Scared the **** out of me, causing me to brake, as I asked him "What?!" 3 times, he refused to answer.

He failed me, told me 2 reasons both of which I corrected him by saying that I braked hard because he kept randomly screaming at me to look out for the invisible ghost car on my left (There were no cars around me at any time he yelled).

After failing me he rushed around the corner of the building and smoked probably an entire pack of cigarettes at the street corner.

I have never had a reaction as violent as his driving with anyone else.

Latest

Trending

Trending