The Student Room Group

Graduate starting salalries

I'm going to firm Warwick for BSc Management but just noticed that the average starting salary upon graduation (from Unistats) seems to be lower than quite a few of the universities it competes with (25k and 24k for International Management. I understand why the London unis (KCL, Cass etc) are higher as greater proportion of their students will seek higher paid jobs in London and why Bath is higher with its work placement. But what about the likes of Lancaster (27k), Loughborough (27k), St Andrews (27k) and a few others. I don't place a lot of importance on average starting salary as I know that it's largely irrelevant, but I was under the impression that most WBS students go into Audit, Consulting, IB and general management schemes which all tend to pay 28k+ and was wondering if anyone had any reasons for why the average starting salary doesn't seem to live up to expectation.

Thank you for your time!
Reply 1
Maybe they get employed in regional offices, particularly in the North?
Original post by Earl Campbell
I'm going to firm Warwick for BSc Management but just noticed that the average starting salary upon graduation (from Unistats) seems to be lower than quite a few of the universities it competes with (25k and 24k for International Management. I understand why the London unis (KCL, Cass etc) are higher as greater proportion of their students will seek higher paid jobs in London and why Bath is higher with its work placement. But what about the likes of Lancaster (27k), Loughborough (27k), St Andrews (27k) and a few others. I don't place a lot of importance on average starting salary as I know that it's largely irrelevant, but I was under the impression that most WBS students go into Audit, Consulting, IB and general management schemes which all tend to pay 28k+ and was wondering if anyone had any reasons for why the average starting salary doesn't seem to live up to expectation.

Thank you for your time!

Because it's an average of 200-300 people, doing a variety of jobs from teaching to IB to accounting to retail; all baked into one. Warwick being outside of London means that more people as a % of the class will want to work elsewhere in the UK, thus bringing down their salary potential. Also bear in mind that the mindset of students changes year on year, so will this average.

Don't worry about it, focus on landing whichever job you want whilst you're at uni (apply for internships, grad schemes etc) - the pay will be tied to the job, not to your degree or uni.

Disclaimer: UniStats sucks (it's only based on 10-50 people), go onto the actual Warwick website for grad destinations:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/careers/options/gradstats/department/wbs_-_international_management.pdf

^ It was £34k there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KTS89
Maybe they get employed in regional offices, particularly in the North?

I thought so too, but thought it would be the same thing for Lancaster and Loughborough, St Andrews Management and Economic grad salaries seem to be skewed by the number of grads who work for Scotland based Asset Management firms who pay grads somewhere in the low 30s.

Original post by Princepieman

Disclaimer: UniStats sucks (it's only based on 10-50 people), go onto the actual Warwick website for grad destinations:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/careers/options/gradstats/department/wbs_-_international_management.pdf

^ It was £34k there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree that Unistats isn't great but it seems to line up roughly with the figures posted by the universities themselves. After seeing the 34k figure I spoke to the university careers department who said the average salary among International Management students from all the classes since the first set graduated in 2012 was 24k. It doesn't really worry me, I was just curious :biggrin: as to the reason. I know a few people studying various courses at Warwick (4 at WBS - 2 of which starting their own businesses) and when I asked them they said the majority end up working for Big 4 Audit/Consulting, with a handful opting for FO finance jobs. Personally, I hope to go into either Strategy Consulting or Asset Management of which I know a few who have made it into these jobs.

Thank you to both of you for replying!

I agree that Unistats isn't great but it seems to line up roughly with the figures posted by the universities themselves. After seeing the 34k figure I spoke to the university careers department who said the average salary among International Management students from all the classes since the first set graduated in 2012 was 24k. It doesn't really worry me, I was just curious :biggrin: as to the reason. I know a few people studying various courses at Warwick (4 at WBS - 2 of which starting their own businesses) and when I asked them they said the majority end up working for Big 4 Audit/Consulting, with a handful opting for FO finance jobs. Personally, I hope to go into either Strategy Consulting or Asset Management of which I know a few who have made it into these jobs.

Thank you to both of you for replying!

Great to see you know what you want! I think McKinsey, BCG, Strategy& and Oliver Wyman do some first year insight programs so be on the look out for when those open. Some large AM firms do insights too (Shroders, M&G etc).

Other than that, summer internships will most likely be available at most (bar Bain & Co, unless you apply to an overseas office) to penultimate years. I've been seeing a lot of people do something financ-y (AM/IB/S&T etc) for their summer then apply for grad schemes at the strat firms too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Great to see you know what you want! I think McKinsey, BCG, Strategy& and Oliver Wyman do some first year insight programs so be on the look out for when those open. Some large AM firms do insights too (Shroders, M&G etc).

Other than that, summer internships will most likely be available at most (bar Bain & Co, unless you apply to an overseas office) to penultimate years. I've been seeing a lot of people do something financ-y (AM/IB/S&T etc) for their summer then apply for grad schemes at the strat firms too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! One of the main reasons I applied to Warwick are the year abroad opportunities offered by WBS, I figured that if I can go to UPenn, Cornell, HKUST, McGill or one of the elite European Business Schools it'll increase the number of opportunities to meet with high level employers. My friend doing PPE at Warwick was applying to some of the large AM first year programs, he said that while they have fewer places available they get fewer applications so it can be easier to secure them. Ideally I'll try and do one consulting internship and one AM placement but these things never go as smoothly as planned so we'll have to see!

Thank you for your time!

Honestly, those stats are beyond useless - ignore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending