Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Edexcel Biology, Chemistry and Psychology?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

Hey everybody. I am an international student who would like to write AS & A level exams privately in order to make admission processes easier in UK universities (i.e. if I have a chance to follow my dreams).
    So I just finished my grade 10 in a national board, and would like to homeschool/online school myself in the UK board for my last two years of high school (i guess that would be equivalent to sixth form in the UK). I would probably also write my national board exams to make things easier in college admissions, if I end up studying in my homeland.
    After doing a bit of researching, I found out that my country does CIE and Edexcel private exams. I am learning more towards doing Edexcel exams in BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, PSYCHOLOGY and maybe ENGLISH.
    Being a clueless student, I have some doubts.
    1)How many units are taken for each of the above mentioned subjects?
    2) How exactly are the papers set?
    3) Is there any aid (like past papers, online tutoring, online websites etc) provided for the students to prepare for the exams?
    4)How is the level of difficulty?
    5)How friendly are the textbooks?

I am not quite sure about how all of these goes, but in the application form, these were the units given for the specific subjects.

(Pls note: all of these are for edexcel exams)

GCE syllabus
     6BI01: Lifestyle, Transport, Genes and Health
     6BI02: Development, Plants and the Environment
     6BI04: The Natural Environment and Species Survival
     6BI05: Energy, Exercise and Co-ordination
    (GCE syllabus)
     AS 8BI01: (6BI01, 6BI02, 6BI03)
     A 9BI01: (6BI01, 6BI02, 6BI03,
    6BI04, 6BI05, 6BI06)

GCE syllabus
     6CH01: The Core Principles of Chemistry
     6CH02: Application of Core Principles of Chemistry
     6CH04: General Principles of Chemistry I: Rates,
    Equilibria and Further Organic Chemistry
     6CH05: General Principles of Chemistry II : Transition
    Metals and Organic Nitrogen Chemistry
    (GCE syllabus)
     AS 8CH01: (6CH01, 6CH02,
     A 9CH01: (6CH01, 6CH02,
    6CH03, 6CH04, 6CH05 and 6CH06)

GCE syllabus
     6PS01: Social and Cognitive Psychology
     6PS02: Understanding the Individual
     6PS03: Applications of Psychology
     6PS04: How Psychology Works
    (GCE syllabus)
     AS: 8PS01: (6PS01, 6PS02)
     A: 9PS01: (6PS01, 6PS02,6PS03
    and 6PS04)

Are these the same units taken by the ones writing the exams in other countries? And if so, are there only the above mentioned units or am i missing out on something?
    And how would you say that the practicals are for Edexcel board?

Just as a side note, I am leaning towards doing neuroscience/medicine in universities like UCL, KCL etc. Will these subjects be OK?

I hope there are some kindhearted souls here who would like to answer my doubts. :P . Thanks for taking the time to read all written above, and I hope someone helps me out!

Information on number of units will be available in the A level specification, these can be found on the exam board website. Past papers are also available on exam board websites, and you can buy more on Amazon. There all sorts of free learning resources on this website (top of screen under A level) and on YouTube, but you could also pay a distance learning company for bit of extra support if you wanted to. Those subjects are fine for medicine.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.