The Student Room Group

Foster child hoping to study Mathematics next year AMA

Title is pretty self explanatory. I am a year 13 English Sixth Former who has been in local authorative care since 2009. Currently studying Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Physics.

Ask anything literally :smile:

UCAS Info:

Offers received
St Andrews: AAA
Manchester: AAA
Birmingham: A*AA
Newcastle: ABB with PARTNERS

Pending:
Bristol:
Original post by A.McCall
Title is pretty self explanatory. I am a year 13 English Sixth Former who has been in local authorative care since 2009. Currently studying Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Physics.

Ask anything literally :smile:

UCAS Info:

Offers received
St Andrews: AAA
Manchester: AAA
Birmingham: A*AA
Newcastle: ABB with PARTNERS

Pending:
Bristol:

Mechanics or statistics.
If your on the decision maths vibe, you should pull out of going uni.
Reply 2
Hi I also studied Maths at uni, nice to meet you. Why do you want to study maths? What are your career plans?
Reply 3
Original post by physicsmaths
Mechanics or statistics.

I studied M1 and M2 last year they are my favourite application modules.
This year I am studying S1, D1 and D2.
So I guess a mechanical vibe; pairing with Physics I guess.
Reply 4
Original post by sabana
Hi I also studied Maths at uni, nice to meet you. Why do you want to study maths? What are your career plans?

I enjoy the challenge really and enjoy doing the complex problems. I haven't thought too deeply about career plans just to try and do well and keep my options open.

What kind of modules did you choose at uni? Did the modules directly impact your career choices.

How is foster care?
Reply 6
I enjoy the challenge really and enjoy doing the complex problems. I haven't thought too deeply about career plans just to try and do well and keep my options open.

What kind of modules did you choose at uni? Did the modules directly impact your career choices.

That's great :smile: I studied modules in Algebra, real analysis, complex analysis, fields and galois theory, statistics, time series and operational research, classical mechanics as well as a few others. The modules I picked didn't impact on my career choices however if you want to go into a specific field such as statistics then it would make sense to pick more statistic modules in your final year.

Hope that helps.
Reply 7
Original post by star80
How is foster care?

Foster Care is alright it is kind of like living with grandparents to an extent. It is a annoying when you are younger because you aren't allowed much freedom and even to go to someone's house has to be finalised with your carers. I remember to be able to stay over friends houses they would have had to meet the friends parents, pretty annoying. As you get older though you are allowed that freedom you don't have to really ask to do much and can stay out later etc... I'm guessing the same as someone who lives with their parents.

Not sure if I answered the question sufficiently if not I'd be happy to go into detail about a certain part.

Reply 8
Original post by sabana
That's great :smile: I studied modules in Algebra, real analysis, complex analysis, fields and galois theory, statistics, time series and operational research, classical mechanics as well as a few others. The modules I picked didn't impact on my career choices however if you want to go into a specific field such as statistics then it would make sense to pick more statistic modules in your final year.

Hope that helps.

It does thanks :smile:

Are you currently doing further study or are you in work. For either what are you currently doing as a job etc... and how does your degree aid that?
Reply 9
It does thanks :smile:

Are you currently doing further study or are you in work. For either what are you currently doing as a job etc... and how does your degree aid that?

I am currently working as a Maths teaching assistant in a secondary school. And I have a place on a pgce course which I'm going to start soon. I love my job because I love working with children and making a difference, no two days are the same. :smile:
Original post by physicsmaths
Mechanics or statistics.

Don't say anything of the sort, Decision is clearly superior to Mech or Stats.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest