Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Police to teacher - where to start? Advice please

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    I currently work for the police but would now like to become a PE teacher.

    I do not currently hold a degree so would like to study full time and do all the nessacary training as quick as possible.

    I've read the advice on the government site but because of all the different routes in to teaching I'm unsure where to start.

    I'd preferably like to study with the OU however am I right in thinking if I so this I would not be able to apply for any grants other than the student loan.

    I am married and have a mortgage so I would probably need some financial assistance as well as a part time job.

    So where do I start? What degree should I do? What's the best way in for me? And...what financial support can I apply for?

    Also History would be my second subject, would I have to study this also? I'd actually rather do my degree in history than PE but I don't think that would make much sense, would it?

    Lots of questions I know but any advice would be appreciated.


    I believe there is a programme which alllows you to do a HND which is like 2 years of a degree in your chosen subject and then get a QTS.
    Either way you will need to study for at least 2 years + experience
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.