Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 1- What case studies do I need? Unhelpful teachers!

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm revising for my unit 1 exam, and my teachers haven't made it very clear what case studies I have/don't have to learn. I have asked but they just say 'it's all in the book' which is vague and also untrue.

Here are all the ones I have revised so far, are there any I don't need/need to add? Thanks in advance.

* LDC earthquake - 2003 Bam, Iran
    * MDC earthquake - 1993 California
    * LDC volcano - Mt Pinatubo, Phillipines
    * MDC volcano - Mt St Helens
    * Drought - 2003 Europe
    * LDC hotspot - Phillipines
    * MDC hotspot - California
    * Tropical Storms - Hurricane Katrina

It seems you're well equipped with Hazard case studies, but I don't think you need so many Earthquake and Volcano case studies, its good t have some additional facts but a good case study knowledge of Philippines, California and another area, perhaps Bangladesh with suffice.

These are some others I'm learning, not sure if any additional are needed?
    Africa- Climate Change
    Arctic- Climate Change
    They're both on the compulsory list for case studies.

Going Global
    TNC- Walmart, Disney, Tesco etc. Any one will suffice
    Could have a few examples of switched on and off places, to help discuss interconnectedness, countries in Africa and USA are classic examples
    Poland to UK- Intra EU migration
    Migration into Europe, illegal migrants and refugees(Syria/African countries)
    UK to Spain- Ageing population
    Mumbai and LA- are what I might use for case studies of Mega cities, but there are many others

My Teachers have also have been a bit under prepared when it comes to case studies too, and most of these I've learnt myself. Don't feel obliged to use these though, some may not have enough detail or too much as I've started to find out, so I may be changing some of which I use. Plus more recent case studies and unique ones may stand out in exams and earn the top band marks.
    Hope this helps :yy:
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.