Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Inequality and the Equal Pay Act of 1970

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

How does the wage gap exist in light of the aforementioned act? Can someone point me to sources which elaborate upon the issues persistence despite legislation intended to solve the problem? Thanks

this page highlights key causes - discrimination still happens, unequal caring responsibilities, female dominated industrial sectors tend to be lower paid, and senior roles in companies are male dominated. It also has links to further reading.

Because Feminists feel that FACTS can be trumped by feelings and safe spaces

(Original post by #Zinan)
    That has NOTHING to do with the fact that for the same job, men and women get paid the EXCAT same thing, regardless of what retarded 3rd wave feminists think.

It is ILLEGAL, to pay men or women more money than a respective gender for the same work.

Get it herp derp?

I KNOW IT DOESN'T. NOT SURE WHY YOU WOULD THINK IT WAS SUPPOSED TO? It does however, help to explain why there is still an apparent 'gender pay gap' when you look at averages across working populations, given that (as I have known since the law was introduced) it is indeed illegal to pay men and women different rates if they are doing exactly the same work. I offered no opinion of my own at all - but do forgive me for offering the OP a link to some reference material which they can peruse, and from which they can draw their own conclusions.

I haven't spoken to any retarded third wave feminists recently, but as you clearly have, I'll take your word for what they think. Do continue with the insults if it helps your sense of self-esteem, but don't expect any further response.

(Original post by #Zinan)
    Because Feminists feel that FACTS can be trumped by feelings and safe spaces
    HAHAHA its all very well to watch a couple of Milo Yiannapoulous videos and regurgitate things that he says onto a text box and then hit send but evidently you have no idea what you are talking about. Coming from a male, you are ignorant. As for 3rd wave feminists, if you know what that means, do tell me what 1st and 2nd wave feminism consisted of? Autist
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.