The Student Room Group

A B or C in the extra subjects?

Hi. :smile:

I'm planning on applying to Cambridge for Maths. I took 2 modules of my Maths AS in Year 11, and am completing that AS, as well as Further Maths, Economics, Physics, and English Lit. this year. I have a horrible feeling that I could get a B or maybe even C for English Lit. (I've already sat the exam last Friday and don't feel good about it at all), will that work against me in getting an offer? I'm hoping not, as I'm working towards As in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics, and English doesn't relate to Maths at all, but would the C for English Lit tarnish things?

Thanks for your help. :tsr2:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
True, lit has nothing to do with Maths but as you know the competition is extremely tough and they are looking for the perfect applicants. A B is more than fine and many applicants have received offers with Bs in lit to read subjects to which lit is more relevant. Frankly, even a C is unlikely to really affect your chances, especially if you do very well in your other subjects. Also lit is quite unpredictable and you probably have a good chance of getting an A if you feel up to it on the day. Don't forget that you can always reject your grade if you don't like it and since you have another 4 subjects you don't really need a fifth.
I had a C in my fourth subject (German, only one mark off a B) and was applying for philosophy...and I'd say German and philosophy involve more similar skills than English and Maths, so I'd say you'll be fine. Word of warning about other universities though- I know Warwick has the tendency to offer something like AAB but with a B in the dropped AS. I put them as my insurance and therefore had to retake a couple of German papers in order to get a B, which was annoying but no work at all (I had obviously given up German so didn't have any lessons, was simply a matter of learning a few phrases the night before and blagging the rest).
Reply 3
I got a B for German which I declared. At the time, I thought it was the end of the world, but here I am with an offer so it can't have been that bad!
Death
True, lit has nothing to do with Maths but as you know the competition is extremely tough and they are looking for the perfect applicants. A B is more than fine and many applicants have received offers with Bs in lit to read subjects to which lit is more relevant. Frankly, even a C is unlikely to really affect your chances, especially if you do very well in your other subjects. Also lit is quite unpredictable and you probably have a good chance of getting an A if you feel up to it on the day. Don't forget that you can always reject your grade if you don't like it and since you have another 4 subjects you don't really need a fifth.

Thanks. :smile: I've already sat the English Lit exam, and I don't feel I did too well on it, hence, the pessamism. :wink:

But yeah, I'm still hoping I did well on it, simply for the fact that it will show the guys there that I can do a variety of subjects. Plus a "C" doesn't sound very nice. :s-smilie:
Reply 5
I'm a complete perfectionist (which sucks), and as such I tend to think that getting a C in a subject is worse than not doing the subject at all, because a C tarnishes your record in a way that the simple absence of a subject never would. I think in your case this holds true, as you are already doing more than enough A-levels, so dropping one wouldn't be a problem, as Death said.

That said, your offer will very likely only need A's in three or four subjects, so as long as you don't think taking Eng Lit will jeopardise your chances of top grades in the other subjects, there's no reason why you shouldn't study it if you enjoy it. It's a great subject (English graduate speaking here :smile:).
I think you would be fine with that - actually, the prospectus states under the A Levels section that they expect you to have A grades in the subjects which are relevant to the course at AS. You could easily interpret that as meaning your English Literature grade is less important.

However, I am thinking of applying for English but have found AS History very difficult. I have decided that if my History grade isn't an A, then I won't apply. I am still very unsure whether it would all be too difficult for me at Cambridge, and that would hold me back. :smile:
Reply 7
Epitomessence
I'm planning on applying to Cambridge for Maths.

There are two possible answers to your question, and only one of them will make you feel better. If your heart is set on maths at cambridge then whatever people say on here is irrelevant. Work to reach your full potential and as long as you've tried your best then that's that, they should be happy to have a talented mathematician, ABC english or otherwise. Hakuna Matata :smile:.
apple tree
There are two possible answers to your question, and only one of them will make you feel better. If your heart is set on maths at cambridge then whatever people say on here is irrelevant. Work to reach your full potential and as long as you've tried your best then that's that, they should be happy to have a talented mathematician, ABC english or otherwise. Hakuna Matata :smile:.

Oh dear, tell me the other answer, just for balance... :wink:
Reply 9
Epitomessence
Oh dear, tell me the other answer, just for balance... :wink:

I didn't say either of the answers so it is balanced :rolleyes:
The answers are pretty meaningless. If you're confident in your mathematical ability and enjoy maths, what more else is there to say?
Wildebeest
However, I am thinking of applying for English but have found AS History very difficult. I have decided that if my History grade isn't an A, then I won't apply. I am still very unsure whether it would all be too difficult for me at Cambridge, and that would hold me back. :smile:

I'm in a similar situation to you; applying to Oxford for English, 2008 entry, and doing Eng. Lit., Eng. Lang., R.S. and History at AS. I'm reasonably confident about getting As in everything except History, where a B is a distinct possibility. (I got a B in the January module and am retaking it.)

However, I think I'm still going to apply, even if I do get AAAB (or worse). After all, it's the only chance I'll get (I hate the idea of a gap year), and I might as well make the most of it. It might be a waste of a UCAS space, but, then again, I know I'll regret it if I don't at least try.
Seriously both of you, more people get in with Bs and Cs at AS than you think. Don't worry about it.
Jigglypuff
Seriously both of you, more people get in with Bs and Cs at AS than you think. Don't worry about it.

That is a point, but the thing that worries me though is that I would find the course too difficult (not that they would give me a place!) Cambridge looks incredible, but perhaps I would be better doing well at somewhere like Warwick than struggling there.

LGoddard - not to be rude, but Cambridge is much nicer than Oxford...

CHANGE! :biggrin:
Wildebeest
That is a point, but the thing that worries me though is that I would find the course too difficult (not that they would give me a place!) Cambridge looks incredible, but perhaps I would be better doing well at somewhere like Warwick than struggling there.

Yep, good point. You should pick a course that's challenging, but not so hard that you don't understand it.

And yup, I find Cambridge prettier. :biggrin:
Reply 14
This should be no problem. Yoda got a B in the subject he wishes to take and still got an oxford offer. Along with another B in a subject he is dropping. A pre-interview test is far more important than any grades should you have one.
Wildebeest

Nice picture :wink:

I loved Warwick and put it as my insurance choice, and I still think I'd be just as happy there as I am here, but I do think I benefit from having a heavy workload. I prefer having one essay a week here as opposed to something like two a term at Warwick- yes it's more stressful, but it's hardly the most strenuous thing. I wouldn't say the course is *harder* here than at any other university- the courses and exams seem to be similar judging from my friends elsewhere, there is just more of it here. Anyway, apply, see what happens and then make your decision- I applied not expecting to get an offer but did, and although the work can be tough it's rare they'll accept someone who cannot cope.
Jigglypuff

Indeed! I've got an unconditional offer to do Law at Oxford and I have AAAab, with the b being 210 - take that, UMS marks!

Seriously, not a problem. At all. :smile:
Wildebeest

O RLY? :smile:

Seriously, though, I'm still deciding between the two. There are just a few more factors about Oxford which appeal to me at the moment.

Having said that, the main thing I'm worried about with regard to Bs and Cs at AS is being rejected without interview, and obviously this is more common at Oxford than at Cambridge. I'm not sure how common it is for English, though, especially as the aptitude test is still in a 'dummy run' and not actually being used to make decisions. Anybody got any ideas? I've heard that they generally only reject those who aren't predicted AAA, though I'm not sure how true this is.
Thanks, Jigglypuff :smile: Well, I might as well apply. It is a great course at Cambridge and it's only one UCAS space.

I see the Yoda anecdote has come out again. It's incredible, his assuredness shows me in one respect it was inevitable he could get into Oxford - yet in another, I am absolutely clueless...

Edit (smart comment): technically, LGoddard, the picture is misleading! All Souls College forms part of it, which is beautiful but not an undergraduate one! :tongue:

On a different note, Oxford is lovely though - I just prefer the Cambridge Tripos system and there are some more 'perfect' colleges there (King's, Clare etc.) I very much doubt you would get rejected with good predicted grades at A2. Oxford pre-interview rejections do seem to be more common, but then a lot of people I know have had AAB offers eventually for their subjects - so it's a different world altogether. :smile:
I could be looking at a B in AS Geography, but as i'm dropping it i'll still apply. How common are pre-interview rejections at Oxford?

Latest

Trending

Trending