The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Neutral_Tones
Our school too! Only a few people have been allowed to do 4 A levels next year, after rigorous testing, and we did 9 GCSEs too. :frown: What makes it worse is that just down the road is the boys' school, who do 10 GCSEs and actively recruit students to do AEAs (like English and History) in Year 12. I get jealous :mad:!

Yes, I wouldn't want to sound like a geek, but I feel that I have the capacity to do more than my school would allow me to. For example, I wanted to teach myself GCSE Spanish and take the exam this year, but they wouldn't let me. My school does very well in the league tables, but it does annoy me (similarly to what you said) that a nearby girls' school has a select few doing six A Levels and I had to do my fifth AS a year early and outside the timetable so they would let me!

However, AS level ICT is a doss and completely irrelevant to English, albeit being blacklisted. :p:
Wildebeest
Sorry to drop out a stupid question, but what is this Top 5 thing about? Is it endorsed by the exam board or the school?

Some AQA Scheme (I hear OCR also do them). Apparently I got one of the "Top 5" marks in GCSE French last year out of 114000-odd candidates. The way marks are scaled make them a farce. I was a couple of marks off ones in Maths, Chemistry and English apparently.
Will I put it in my application? Nope, I'm applying for Maths :biggrin:
Its top 5 marks as in 596, 597 598 599 or 600 /600. It doesnt mean you were in the top 5 students.
:ditto: I'd imagine plenty of people get full marks in Sciences.
Turdburger
Its top 5 marks as in 596, 597 598 599 or 600 /600. It doesnt mean you were in the top 5 students.

Does 595 count or does it have to be 596 and over? Sorry to bring this thread up again!
Reply 105
Edukasion
Does 595 count or does it have to be 596 and over? Sorry to bring this thread up again!

Well, technically that is the 6th top mark, so I would say no. :s-smilie: Not that it would make much difference to any Oxbridge application.
Edukasion

They would have sent you a letter if you had one of the top five marks. It's really not going to be a pivotal point of your application though - perhaps a sentence you could put in your PS to demonstrate maintained commitment to your subject or something along those lines.
Reply 107
I have a D in an AS level I took with 13 GCSEs a year early with next to no (and very bad) tutoring. It was a big mistake, I declared it and it didn't count against me. I then had 5 As at AS and 4As at A level (one being general studies, so only 3 that counted).

Latest

Trending

Trending