Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Advice on Master's for working in neuroscience research industry?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

So I'm nearing the end of my BSc Medical Neuroscience degree. After my Master's I'm hoping to work in industry with a focus on neuroscience, for instance in research developing drugs/treatments for Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, epilepsy etc.

I'm wondering though if it might be better for me to pursue an MSc in something like Pharmacology rather than Neuroscience, since I get the impression that MSc Neuroscience is generally a route into a PhD for people who didn't study neuroscience at undergraduate level. Neuroscience graduates typically apply straight to a PhD without a Master's. This route however is for those pursuing a career in academia. While I may be interested in working in academia in later life, with the low pay and massive debt after another 4 years studying for a PhD, unfortunately there isn't much inscentive. Of course I would love to work in academic research but at the same time I need some money to live.

So for working in industry, would an MSc in Pharmacology be more useful for employability in this area? Alternatively if I was to study a Neuroscience Master's I'd probably try to get on an MRes, where there's more focus on practical research rather than taught modules. But I think a neuroscience Master's on top of a neuroscience BSc isn't going to help me much for getting a job in industry.

Have a look at jobs you may be interested in and check what their entry requirements are. I don't think there's much difference if you do a neuro or a pharmacology MSc in terms of employability so it depends on what you're interested in. Bear in mind though that to climb the career ladder even in industry you will eventually need a PhD.

Sorry I can't offer any advice to you, OP, but would you be willing to offer me any?

I am about to start a Bsc degree in medical neuroscience this September: where do you think is better, Exeter, Bristol or KCL?
    Also, is there any general advice you can give me for the course, like what aspects of chemistry are most important, for example.

Sorry to hijack your thread. No worries if you haven't the time to reply.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.