The Student Room Group

Best universities in Australia for Economics and Business/Commerce?

Hi,
Can someone tell me which universities in Australia are the best for studying Economics and commerce?

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think ANU for economics.

Sydney, Melbourne for business.
ANU, UNSW, Melbourne, Monash, Sydney
seriously out of all the unis in australia....i would consider melbourne and ANU worth going to. I may be harsh...but thats my own opinion.
Reply 4
IMO ANU is not particularly good for business but very good for economics. I am an ANU student.
Reply 5
oh I thought both UNSW and Sydney had a very good reputation?
well I am talking about overall reputation. Others may be good for individual subjects....but overall....ANU and Melbourne scrapes them all, and I believe that overall reputation is what really matters for job prospects.
Reply 7
yes, I'm talking about overall reputation as well.
I thought ANU, UNSW, Sydney, Melbourne and Queensland are all very good?
i dont think the others are as highly regarded globally as like ANU and melbourne. seriously....if I wasnt at sheffield...i would go for melbourne anyday.
Reply 9
showdown_counts
i dont think the others are as highly regarded globally as like ANU and melbourne. seriously....if I wasnt at sheffield...i would go for melbourne anyday.

For business commerce UNSW/Melb. Eco - usyd.

ANU is not great for undergrad. Dont know why everyone is so obsessed with it. And all the unis I mentioned kill sheffield in rankings.
Reply 10
The research schools, which make ANU famous, don't bear undergraduate teaching responsibilities. Therefore, while ANU is an internationally prestigious university for research and research training, its undergraduate education is far from top.
Reply 11
Melbourne, UNSW or QUT (in that order), I guess it all depends on what kind of outside of university life you want to lead as well. Sydney is very expensive and has high job competition, Melbourne is very cultured and trendy but with bad weather, Queensland is beautiful but Brisbane is just a big country town.
Melbourne, ANU, Monash
Reply 13
Ozboy82
Melbourne, UNSW or QUT (in that order), I guess it all depends on what kind of outside of university life you want to lead as well. Sydney is very expensive and has high job competition, Melbourne is very cultured and trendy but with bad weather, Queensland is beautiful but Brisbane is just a big country town.

QUT should not be on that list. Its a 2nd tier uni, and not renowned for business related courses. Maybe something 'technical' since its called Queensland Uni of Tech.

Sydney is expensive, but has lots of jobs. Just remember unemployment in australia is stupidly low like 4.x%, so finding a job is not too hard (provided you are not going for something stupidly competitive like IB or something).
stephanina
Melbourne, ANU, Monash

You forget UNSW which is arguably the best commerce school in aus. USYD is highly ranked in economics also (not finance though).
Reply 14
bally
QUT should not be on that list. Its a 2nd tier uni, and not renowned for business related courses. Maybe something 'technical' since its called Queensland Uni of Tech.

Sydney is expensive, but has lots of jobs. Just remember unemployment in australia is stupidly low like 4.x%, so finding a job is not too hard (provided you are not going for something stupidly competitive like IB or something).

I just figured I'd offer a range of options for the east coast, one in each state, because that's where most people study. While UOMELB, UOSYD and UNSW do have a better reputation none of them are in QLD. I picked QUT out of the QLD universities because it's the only one I know of that has the triple crown accreditation.
Ozboy82
I just figured I'd offer a range of options for the east coast, one in each state, because that's where most people study. While UOMELB, UOSYD and UNSW do have a better reputation none of them are in QLD. I picked QUT out of the QLD universities because it's the only one I know of that has the triple crown accreditation.

That's where most people study? :confused:

University of Melbourne and University of Sydney are the most prestigious schools in Australia. And UQ has a good medical school, don't know about business...

I don't know much about UNSW.
Reply 16
UNSW has come forward in leaps and bouns over the last six years (UOFMELB and UOSYD still beat them hands down). QUT (as opposed to UQ) has triple crown accreditation, which can be useful if you intend to travel. UQ is much better in its own specialities.
Reply 17
Ozboy82
UNSW has come forward in leaps and bouns over the last six years (UOFMELB and UOSYD still beat them hands down). QUT (as opposed to UQ) has triple crown accreditation, which can be useful if you intend to travel. UQ is much better in its own specialities.

Im not sure where you are getting your info from, but Finance and Accounting is the best at UNSW. Usyd doesnt compare for finance. Melb is close to UNSW.

I have never heard of triple crown accreditation, and ive been here for ages....what is it?
I am abit confused so .... would employers recruit from unimelb ? or UNSW? ( i mean in general from a commerce background)

what do ppl think about ANU Master of Finance ?
Reply 19
Hello guys
I know that this discussion ended way back,I was reading it today and I have got a question which is dat I am an international student and I wanna do economics in au but the unis are very costly for an international student.so are there ne good ranked unis dat are good but nt dat costly?.nd does ranking matter in jobs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending