The Student Room Group

Physics A level without Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Sure, if you like what you've experienced of physics so far. There are a lot of calculations though and you have to be confident with algebraic manipulation from GCSE. If you don't like doing these calculations in maths now just think about whether you'd enjoy physics with a lot more calculations. In any case you can try it out at the start of the year and see how it goes before making a final decision. People who do A-level maths/further maths tend to do much better in A-level physics than people who don't, but this is likely correlation rather than causation. People who are good at the calculations required in A-level physics tend to choose maths as well.

Original post by Kyx
im doing a physics degree in September without a-level maths. I already know quite a lot about the degree, and what is involved. you don't need maths to do physics: Einstein was rubbish at maths!

Original post by B_9710
I've just read that he excelled at mathematics. Don't think that physics degree will only require up to A level standard. A level standard is nothing. A level further maths is not a high standard when you're talking about a physics degree. You have to remember that physics is very mathematical and is nothing like at school.
I don't know any of this from personal experience, just what I've heard.

For the first year of a physics degree you need to be very good at A-level maths and further maths. You should also know how to use basic mathematical notation. In addition you'll extend this to include some multivariate calculus, differential equations, matrix algebra, Taylor series etc., covered from an applied mathematical viewpoint. You won't need to learn any pure maths though.

For later years you'll obviously need to learn more advanced maths, possibly including some pure maths. What you need depends on what specifically you're studying in physics. I know some late topics need group theory for example.
I do AS level physics and don’t do maths! I’m like you I don’t find maths fun at all but enjoy physics because it’s enjoyable and logical! AS physics for me consists of trigonometry maths and rearranging equations, every other maths is just putting the numbers in the equations and learning some equations
Original post by slothlife
Hi there,
I want to do Biology, chemistry, geography and physics at A level but people are saying how I'm going to struggle with physics :/ I'm currently in year 11, I'm good at maths but find it so boring, and I don't want to do a subject at a level that will just kill me. On the other hand i find physics really enjoyable! Has anyone done physics without/ with maths? How did you find it? I'm planning to take it to AS and then drop it.

Did physics A levels in combination with mathematics, so some mathematical operations were familar to me, but I would say that it is possible to understand these parts of lessons without mathematics at A levels. Maybe you need more persistence to keep it up, however I see no problem in it, if you really enjoy this subject as you said.
What kind of maths do you do? Is it the really complicated maths, or just rearranging formulas and stuff like that?
Curious as to what you did after A levels. Considering dropping maths but continuing with physics

Quick Reply

Latest