The Student Room Group

Easter Revision Hours HELP?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lelanor
This is what my timetable for this week looks like:
20160331_183203.jpg
I have been doing four sessions of revision then a half an hour break, four or five of these each day (except today as I had revision for additional maths and RS at school). Each session is 25 minutes, followed by a five minute break. It's been working fairly well, although I've been losing concentration after about 1 pm, barely working between 3 pm and 5 pm, and managing to get back to work at about 6 or 7 pm, but slightly less productive than in the morning. I didn't start revising until Tuesday (except a very small amount in the car to my grandparents' house and in a cafe by the seaside on Monday) so I'm trying to catch up by doing a little extra. Next week I'll probably do a little less as I have more things other than revision that I need to do.

Something I'm trying is dedicated about half of each Saturday to specific subjects. This Saturday I'm focussing on Engineering (I need to change my timetable a little) as I have lots of research to do (we haven't been taught what we're supposed to just be revising)

I was wondering if anyone has any subjects that there not planning on revising for much? For example, my revision session for additional maths that I had at school is the only revision I've done for that subject, and I don't plan on doing any more other than what we do in lessons and what my teacher sets for homework. Similarly, I'm probably not going to revise for general studies until just before each exam, only doing specific homework tasks we're given. These subjects are extras that I'm doing, so I can afford to not revise for them.

Sorry for the long post! Also, I like your videos @evebennettx, especially the revision ones you've been doing recently. I also go to a girls' grammar school, it's nice to see someone else who does :smile:

wow i just saw this post and your timetable is filled up :smile: I'm not revising much for Maths because I've already done my gcse and i managed to get an A*. However my teacher tells me that I can do the other gcse in June as well. ( this is so confusing) That is the reason why i won't revise much for Maths :smile:

Wow Eve goes to a grammar school i never knew that - something new :smile:
How do you revise for Science?
Thanks x
I'm also struggling loads with English Literature. I'm not sure what i should be doing and which quotes to memorise (our exam is closed book). I'm doing Of Mice and Men and Inspector Calls. Also does anyone have any tips for poetry. What things should you look for when analysing the unseen poetry. I'm freaking out our school hasn't even taught us anything about poetry yet and we're expected to analyse all of them ourselves because they don't have any time to teach us any more.
For novels, remember a select few quotes which you can write the most about for each character and theme
For poetry, you want to analyse the rhyme scheme or rhythm for high marks so stuff like "there is an irregular rhyme scheme which suggests chaos" or something like that, remember points about the form and structure for each poem so whether it's a ballad or a poem and the stanza and line lengths so you can say stuff like "the stanzas are uniform in length which shows..." and finally, points about the language in the poem
For the unseen, try and find points about the same things I mentioned before and a tip is to look for words which don't fit or words which stand out and then analyse those
Reply 103
Original post by MariumKazmi
I'm also struggling loads with English Literature. I'm not sure what i should be doing and which quotes to memorise (our exam is closed book). I'm doing Of Mice and Men and Inspector Calls. Also does anyone have any tips for poetry. What things should you look for when analysing the unseen poetry. I'm freaking out our school hasn't even taught us anything about poetry yet and we're expected to analyse all of them ourselves because they don't have any time to teach us any more.

What year are you in? I'm in Year 10, doing AQA, and my exam is also closed book as it's the first time for the new GCSE's. If you are also in Year 10, i'd say don't worry, you have plenty of time, at our school we have only covered romeo and juliet, and our power and conflict anthology, and when we get back from Easter, we start Jeckyll and Hyde so...

If you're in year 11, first of all, i didn't know there were any exam boards which were closed book! But i'd suggest for poetry, always remember to pick around 3/4 quotes for every poem, and make sure you can analyse the theme, tone, imagery, language and structure/form from them, as this is what gets you the marks, as well as context of the poem (if that's assessed, it is for us!)

If you need to analyse it yourself, if you're struggling, i'd either recommend a revision guide focused on your poetry cluster (CGP's are good) or use youtube like Mr Bruff, he is honestly amazing and does detailed analysis on so many poems, so he might be helpful for starting the thought process. Though try not to only focus your analysis on other people's responses, as the unseen poetry is all about your own skill, so try to find your own alternative interpretations!

Hope this helped! :smile:
Reply 104
Hello Eve, I just saw you saying you were worried about History and English and with regards to that podcasts/youtube videos saved my life. For English Literature (which i was freaking out over for the entire year) I came across "Dominic Salles" on Youtube who helped me out incredibly when it came to perceptive comments/exam technique which blagged me an A* ????????? I'm still baffled a year later. MASSIVE TIP which you may find weird - when it comes to the exam - and you have a choice between questions, GO FOR THE HARDER ONE as less students tend to go for them and the examiner see's more varied or 'perceptive' answers which boosts your marks. Going for the easier question will only leave the examiner seeing the same comments and ideas being read over and over whilst marking papers which loses its authenticity

When it comes to History, thinking of potential exam questions they could ask you and planning out bullet point answers or mind maps will help majorly. Also, if you search online you'll find podcasts for units, which i just listen to and take notes which is helping me a lot right now at AS as you get a comprehensive view of everything going on! :smile:

Hope that helps anyone out!
Original post by nm1276
What year are you in? I'm in Year 10, doing AQA, and my exam is also closed book as it's the first time for the new GCSE's. If you are also in Year 10, i'd say don't worry, you have plenty of time, at our school we have only covered romeo and juliet, and our power and conflict anthology, and when we get back from Easter, we start Jeckyll and Hyde so...

If you're in year 11, first of all, i didn't know there were any exam boards which were closed book! But i'd suggest for poetry, always remember to pick around 3/4 quotes for every poem, and make sure you can analyse the theme, tone, imagery, language and structure/form from them, as this is what gets you the marks, as well as context of the poem (if that's assessed, it is for us!)

If you need to analyse it yourself, if you're struggling, i'd either recommend a revision guide focused on your poetry cluster (CGP's are good) or use youtube like Mr Bruff, he is honestly amazing and does detailed analysis on so many poems, so he might be helpful for starting the thought process. Though try not to only focus your analysis on other people's responses, as the unseen poetry is all about your own skill, so try to find your own alternative interpretations!

Hope this helped! :smile:

Thanks! I'm in Year 11 and i think we're doing Edexcel (but it's like an IGCSE or something weird like that). Anyway I checked out Mr Bruff and he has a few of the poems we're studying so thanks, you're a lifesaver.

Ooooh, those were my texts! You don't need to be memorising quotes - you need to be able to paraphrase very well, and know your texts back to front. For poetry: look at punctuation, themes, particularly emotive words. If it rhymes, then it sounds smoother - but which words are chosen to rhyme with? The easiest thing to do is honestly just to take random poems and analyse them! Surely your teacher will be happy to mark it?
Your situation is absolutely ridiculous. Try googling the poems - it's most likely annotations already exist. And make sure to read past paper model answers to get a sense of how you should be structuring your answers.
Original post by evebennettx
Hi there!

I'm super new to this whole TSR thing so i just wanted to say hello!

My name is Eve and I'm 16 in Year 11.

Anyways, I'm currently on my Easter break and apart from Easter Sunday i have done 5-9 hours a day revision (that 9 hour day KILLED me so I doubt I shall ever do that again)

i was just wondering how much everyone else is doing, partly to reassure myself and partly out of curiosity!

I have 1 A* in ICT already and I am predicted 11 A*s this year, but I feel like as soon as I move on to revise another subject it all leaves my brain! GAH!

But yeah, feel free to have a chat down below so we can get through this together!

Hope your Easter is going better than mine!

Well, yours is going way better than mine! I just started revision for my GCSE's yesterday and that includes writing notes. I aim to finish my notes by mid next week and then do past papers until the exams so do you think i'll be okay or have I left it too last minute? Love your videos by the way!x
I legit feel as if I'm going to be so so under prepared for these exams, I do kinda revise throughout the year because of mocks and in class assessments so I do have that slight bit of preparation but ehhhh. I haven't been the most productive this Easter despite the fact I deffo should be, I mean I've gone through every past paper, I've analysed around 12 out of the 16 poems and I've finished up B2 and B3 notes (still need to do B1) ((I done chem and phys last year)) but yeaahhh. any tips to actually revise!
Reply 109
Thanks! I'm in Year 11 and i think we're doing Edexcel (but it's like an IGCSE or something weird like that). Anyway I checked out Mr Bruff and he has a few of the poems we're studying so thanks, you're a lifesaver.

You're very welcome! :smile:
Our school does OCR (shoot me) which used to be 40% coursework and is now 100% exam! It's making me panic because English is probably my least stable subject even though it's one of my faves. But my other 3 options are subjects I'm super strong in so I can drop English after year 12 if it isn't for me!

And yes I just re read the texts, go over my notes and watch Mr Bruff! If anyone has any other good techniques let me know!

what techniques do you use for revising journeys end? NOTHING IS WORKING
I did cambridge igcse.... never again! I found the practical super easy with practice and we didn't have a teacher for theory so I just read over some notes online and did every single past paper from 2004 onwards... when I got in there the paper was basically identical! and I got 95% overall!

did you do the ICT IGCSE paper this year ? I have my Practical Paper 1 tomorrow and Im so nearvous, we haven't been taught all of the topics and im so worried...really want an A*

Quick Reply

Latest