The Student Room Group

A-Level Psychology choice

Hi there! I'm new here so I don't really know how all this works but next year I'll be starting my A-levels and I'm struggling with my choices.
I have chosen: A Level Biology, A Level Psychology and A Level Fine Art,
Do these sound okay?
The only problem is everyone I speak to says they hated Psychology because it was 'wishy-washy' or 'a load of rubbish' or 'airy-fairy'. I think I'll be interested in it but I would like some other people's opinions as I'm worried I will make a big mistake being the only choice that I haven't studied previously. Any advice/help/comments/opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Thankyou,
R
It sounds like a good range of subjects to me! One science, one art and one that's a bit of both. It will suit biology well because in Psychology you learn about the specific areas of the brain and which areas affect what.
I don't think Psychology is 'airy-fairy' - it is classed as a science after all. It might be a bit less concrete than some of the traditional sciences because it's a relatively new subject of study and not that much is actually known about the brain!
You should have a look at some important psychological experiments and see if they sounds interesting to you - try Stanley Milgram's obedience experiment or Phillip Zimbardo's prison experiment.

Also, ultimately, the choice of what to study is up to you - try not to let yourself be put off by what other people think!

Quick Reply

Latest