Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Summer crisis, advice needed!

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi guys,

I was wandering if anyone could help me? I'm in a slight predicament and was after some advice on how best to use my summer once I finish my current year at University.
    Basically my family moved recently from the town where I grew up to a new village further away. To put it bluntly there is literally NOTHING to do, there are no shops, no gym, no nightlife and most crucially I have no friends in the immediate vicinity. (Think of it as the town from hot fuzz, just without the secret society which kills everyone). The nearest town/city is an hours bus journey away, and coupled very little employment opportunities within the town this makes things a lot worse. Frustratingly, I am almost at the limit of my overdraft so travelling is off limits and even seeing friends around the country are hindered somewhat.
    Therefore in an effort as try and avoid going insane, has anybody got some good advice to make this summer somewhat productive/fun?

Hi! This happened to me as well and it was pretty boring and lonely - my bus ride took TWO hours to get back to the city where I originally lived!

Some tips are:

Try and get out the house every day, even for just a 20 min walk, otherwise its just an excuse to sit in your pajamas all day and feel sorry for yourself. Getting out the house ensures you get dressed every day and get some fresh air.

Skype and ring your friends as well as chatting online, so you get to have actual conversations with people out loud.

See your friends as often as you can, ask your parents for a bit of bus fare at least once a week.

Do stuff with your parents/family maybe? You could try offer up going to the cinema/museums/restaurants etc. You might grow closer to your family!

You could use this time to get some work experience somewhere over the summer, or catch up on uni work (not that I did when I was in this position haha)

Play The Sims because before you know it a whole week has gone by unnoticed and you've barely left the computer chair.

The summer will actually pass quicker than you think it will, even through it seems so daunting at the beginning of June!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.