The Student Room Group

AS Levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ishea16
dont you think i would know since i am doing AS?
maths is not in the list but AS maths doesnt count anything towards your A2 maths grade as my teachers have repeatedly said

"“I started AS-levels in September 2015 (or after)….” The only exams which will shape your whole A-level grade will be at the end of Year 13. In fact, going forward, exams will be the preferred method of assessment for A-level students, over coursework which will be less frequent. Any exams you do have at the end of your AS year will be independent of your overall A-level mark.

However AS-levels are still pretty important (see points 2. and 3. above). Your teachers will still use them as a marker of your performance when deciding your predicted grades which universities will see. The importance of your GCSE grades may also increase as universities look to these too.

Plus they can be great preparation for that all-important Year 13 when everything counts!

AS and A2 will no longer be separated into modules and there will be no more January exams."http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/why-your-as-level-grades-really-matter#sep16andbeyonda slightly more reliable source:rolleyes:

Mathematics will still be like the traditional a-levels where you have an AS and A2 grade which both contribute towards your A-level grades

If it's reliable source you want, here's this, if you are on a AQA exam boards; please note all exam boards are different:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/policy/gcse-and-a-level-changes/structure-of-new-a-levels
As noted, mathematics wont start counting as a separate grade until 2017
Original post by Drunq
Mathematics will still be like the traditional a-levels where you have an AS and A2 grade which both contribute towards your A-level grades

If it's reliable source you want, here's this, if you are on a AQA exam boards; please note all exam boards are different:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/policy/gcse-and-a-level-changes/structure-of-new-a-levels
As noted, mathematics wont start counting as a separate grade until 2017

okay I cant even be bothered saying anything any more:colonhash:

why did you feel the need to 'prove' this so badly btw?
Reply 22
Original post by Ishea16
okay I cant even be bothered saying anything any more:colonhash:

why did you feel the need to 'prove' this so badly btw?

Same for you.
Original post by Drunq
Same for you.

what?
you mean why was i trying to prove it?
because im doing AS so i thought i could help and then when you said that it was making me confuse aswell so since it affects me aswell i wanted to get to the bottom of this and look it up and which?uni dont lie

now why did you?
Original post by Drunq
I never said that AS contributes to A2, I'm saying AS contributes to your final A-level grade.

I'm in A2 at the moment.

It doesn't. How have you managed to not hear about A-Level reforms? Everyone in year 12 and below right now do reformed a levels (aside from in a few subjects which will be reformed at a later date) where AS do not count to A level. A2 isn't a thing anymore there are just AS and A-levels, and both are separate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Ishea16
what?
you mean why was i trying to prove it?
because im doing AS so i thought i could help and then when you said that it was making me confuse aswell so since it affects me aswell i wanted to get to the bottom of this and look it up and which?uni dont lie

now why did you?

Fair play, but also take into account (now i'm trying to help you), that UCAS will be taking to account these new government changes, and you will get UCAS points for the AS grades you are getting this year, so don't do worse during revision because it would backfire (I also think that the A-level will be worth less for the subjects it has changed for).
AS is now a standalone qualification so it bares no difference to your A Level regardless. There are some subjects that haven't been reformed, depending on exam boards but most only offer AS exams and the A Level exams. The A Level exams consist of 4 exams, two of which are topics covered from your AS year. There is no A2 year but if students get U's in their AS exams then they can get kicked off their course.

Schools only offer AS exams now so they are a clear indication of the A Level results and because some people may leave after the first year.
Reply 27
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
It doesn't. How have you managed to not hear about A-Level reforms? Everyone in year 12 and below right now do reformed a levels where AS do not count to A level. A2 isn't a thing anymore there are just AS and A-levels, and both are separate.

If you continue reading the thread, this is only for 'some' subjects not all, as AQA website states. http://www.aqa.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/policy/gcse-and-a-level-changes/structure-of-new-a-levels
Original post by Drunq
Fair play, but also take into account (now i'm trying to help you), that UCAS will be taking to account these new government changes, and you will get UCAS points for the AS grades you are getting this year, so don't do worse during revision because it would backfire (I also think that the A-level will be worth less for the subjects it has changed for).

thanks, ill keep in mind :rolleyes:
Original post by Drunq
If you continue reading the thread, this is only for 'some' subjects not all, as AQA website states. http://www.aqa.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/policy/gcse-and-a-level-changes/structure-of-new-a-levels

I already know that. And it's not just 'some' it's the majority of traditional subjects. And eventually it will be all of them, they are just phasing them, so next year languages and geography and others, then the year after that maths and some will follow.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I already know that. And it's not just 'some' it's the majority. And eventually it will be all of them, they are just phasing them, so next year languages and geography and all the others except maths will be reformed, then the year after that maths will follow.

I haven't said otherwise.
Remember that for some subjects, AS still does contribute to A2.

Quick Reply

Latest