The Student Room Group

Enough for Oxbridge Economics? *UPDATED*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Just for the benefit of potential candidates stumbling across this thread and concerned about GCSEs, Oxford CURRENTLY (i.e for 2017 entry) state the following (with my underlining):

Tutors are looking for evidence of academic ability as well as commitment and motivation for your chosen degree course. They will use GCSE results as one indicator of your abilities, along with predicted grades at A-level, your personal statement, your academic reference, any written work or written test that are required and, if your application is shortlisted, your performance at interview.

Candidates who feel that they under-performed at GCSE may be able to compensate for this by demonstrating clear upward progression at AS level as well as in predicted or achieved A-level scores. You may wish to refer to this in your personal statement and it could also be useful if your tutors comment in your academic reference.
Reply 61
Original post by Youngmetro
Well done, but you have not given any useful input here. I would rather you give your opinion as opposed to trying to put me down. If you think its bullsh*t, then do give a counter argument. TSR is for everyones help including me and im willing to listen but making irrelevant statements does not help.

YOU DO NOT NEED 7A*S AT GCSE TO GET INTO OXBRIDGE. THAT IS ********.

Is that better?
Yeah the 'decoupling' will add emphasis to GCSE.

No it won't. Oxford specifically said that they never put any weight on AS grades in the first place in their admissions process so that the decoupling will make no difference to them. An Oxford Admissions Tutor said this and it's on their website.
Original post by alow
YOU DO NOT NEED 7A*S AT GCSE TO GET INTO OXBRIDGE. THAT IS ********.

Is that better?

You're very rude, im simply telling what i was told alright.

Original post by ♥Samantha♥
No it won't. Oxford specifically said that they never put any weight on AS grades in the first place in their admissions process so that the decoupling will make no difference to them. An Oxford Admissions Tutor said this and it's on their website.

link?
Reply 64

Whoever told you that was wrong.

link?

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements/faqs-level-reform?wssl=1 Questions 1-3

They basically say that as more than 30% of applicants apply with alternative qualifications to a level anyway (such as IB, Pre-U etc which are linear with no y12 exams) they have never used AS results in their admissions process so it doesn't make a difference.
(edited 8 years ago)
15 A*s is ridiculous I don't even know anyone who has 15 GCSEs! You don't need 7A*s I've been to Oxford a couple of times and a guy I spoke to there had only 3A*s. He wasn't on an uncompetitive course either, he was studying physics! A girl I spoke to also said her friend got in with no A*s.

that's encouraging. yet, you would still need to have good grades or something outstanding for them to even consider you right?
Original post by alow
Whoever told you that was wrong.

Allow me guys, im in yr 11 and my information is a mix of what people on TSR say and what my school said.
Reply 68
That's irrelevant

? It's entirely relevant. You stated that de-coupling means that universities are putting more emphasis on GCSEs. And yet Cambridge (one half of the Oxbridge in the OP) has indicated they will not.

I haven't been following Oxford's view so closely so link me to a statement from Oxford that supports your assertion.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements/faqs-level-reform?wssl=1 Questions 1-3

They basically say that as more than 30% of applicants apply with alternative qualifications to a level anyway (such as IB, Pre-U etc which are linear with no y12 exams) they have never used AS results in their admissions process so it doesn't make a difference.

Isnt predicted grades basically AS grades? so if you get A in AS you're predicted a*
Reply 70
Allow me guys, im in yr 11 and my information is a mix of what people on TSR say and what my school said.

Again, apology accepted.
Isnt predicted grades basically AS grades? so if you get A in AS you're predicted a*

Nope
Reply 72

Not at all.

Don't try to pretend you know what you're talking about then.
Reply 73
Original post by alow
Not at all.

PRSOM.
Original post by alow
Not at all.

Well, ive already stated where my sources are from. Admissions tutors from oxbridge. I would continue to make my point but why bother.
Original post by TheAppleGeek111

built my company ground up, hired my friends along the way (eventually firing them once it was running automatically)

you sound nice
Reply 76
Well, ive already stated where my sources are from. Admissions tutors from oxbridge. I would continue to make my point but why bother.

Now it's multiple tutors from both Cambridge and Oxford? Which colleges?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Now it's multiple tutors from both Cambridge and Oxford? Which colleges?

Posted from TSR Mobile

One made contact with our school, cambridge admission tutor came into school. Im not sure which colleges, it was a talk last year.
My school is also reliable for information, around 40 of the 140 people last year got offers from oxbridge.
Original post by TheAppleGeek111
that's encouraging. yet, you would still need to have good grades or something outstanding for them to even consider you right?

The most important part of the application is impressing at interview. If you ace that your in, if you flop then you're out. Once your at the interview stage the rest of your application becomes irrelevant when making the decision unless you're a borderline case.

To get to the interview in the first place the most important thing is your admissions test scores and then maybe your PS. predicted grades, reference and GCSEs grades (to a lesser extent) are also considered.
Original post by jneill
Again, apology accepted.

I was never talking to you, think its time for you to retire.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending