The Student Room Group

Enough for Oxbridge Economics? *UPDATED*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Just for the benefit of potential candidates stumbling across this thread and concerned about GCSEs, Oxford CURRENTLY (i.e for 2017 entry) state the following (with my underlining):

Tutors are looking for evidence of academic ability as well as commitment and motivation for your chosen degree course. They will use GCSE results as one indicator of your abilities, along with predicted grades at A-level, your personal statement, your academic reference, any written work or written test that are required and, if your application is shortlisted, your performance at interview.

Candidates who feel that they under-performed at GCSE may be able to compensate for this by demonstrating clear upward progression at AS level as well as in predicted or achieved A-level scores. You may wish to refer to this in your personal statement and it could also be useful if your tutors comment in your academic reference.

Irrelevant to OP since he's entering in 2018.
Reply 81
Original post by Greatleysteg
Your original post is really rambly and lacking in relevant information. What A levels are you planning to take? Are you taking Economics? Maths? Further Maths? Arts, sciences, social sciences?

If you want to maximise your chances of getting into Oxford or Cambridge, you're going to need a better reason for wanting to study there than "I've just always dreamt of it." Or rather, you need better reasons to explain why you don't want to study anywhere else. To be honest, your academic snobbery comes across as a little repulsive.

If you can manage 8A*s and 3As at GCSE, AAA at A Level should be well within your reach.

With the greatest of respect, however, I'd strongly recommend working on your written English before getting too far ahead of yourself.

Lol rekt
Original post by Youngmetro

"Just for the benefit of potential candidates stumbling across this thread"
Reply 83

2018 entry has pretty much the same exam regime as 2017 (A-level reform applies from 2017 entry onwards).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 84

I wouldn't imagine a great deal will change on how AS levels and predictions based on mocks are perceived by Oxbridge from one academic year to another.
Reply 85
Well, ive already stated where my sources are from. Admissions tutors from oxbridge. I would continue to make my point but why bother.

Stop making things up. You look stupid.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheAppleGeek111
Hello TSR! :biggrin:

*the thread before this was wrong - apologies but this is the correct thread now*

No idea if this is the correct forum but...

I'm still no where near finished with school - still in Year 11! But hey, I've always been ambitious and always looking forward to what the future holds for me.I'm in a dilemma - my Mother is a Doctor, and as a Doc she wants me to become one too. Now I don't mind this idea as I've always been fascinated by science anyways - so in no way am I being forced to do it.

But, I love business and financing. I don't want to sound full of myself, but I just love the idea of earning money in a way which you created (if that makes sense - getting paid from something you made). I'm only 16 right now, but i started my own company at the age of 14, you can choose to believe it or not, I would appreciated if you did - sounds unbelievable I know, but bear with me. Anyways yes, I started with nothing to my name, built my company ground up, hired my friends along the way (eventually firing them once it was running automatically). And I'm at a position now as to where I am earning £10,000 or there about a month. I've paid my way through a few years of private education - I do quite feel proud of what I've done.

But here's the problem. I really would like to study only at Oxford or Cambridge - just something I've always dreamt about. Yet I'm only predicted 8A* and 3As for GCSEs. And after extensive research I've came to a conclusion that they won't be enough (paired with a prediction of AAA at A-levels).

This has really been bumming me out lately.So I was wondering if they would consider my real world experience? I mean, I handle customers daily - manage the business with my school work. I just feel as if I've done so much, they must consider it right?

Any thoughts would be nice guys Please, I know I'm still young and I "shouldn't be worrying about it" but I need to create a future for myself - and there is nothing wrong with seeing into the future.
Please don't post if you're going to critique me or say I'm lying - because the fact of the matter is, is that I'm not.

You do know that Oxbridge interview their applicants right? If you don't do your interviews well, even if you founded twenty companies and have one million A*, you will still be rejected.
Allow me guys, im in yr 11 and my information is a mix of what people on TSR say and what my school said.

Hence why it is poor information.. Sadly, a lot of TSRians use sources like this to dole out misinformation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My bad, guess i should have told OP to chill back and not give a sh*t about his GCSEs
Original post by Student403
"Just for the benefit of potential candidates stumbling across this thread"

I can see why it may have been misleading, im sorry if that was the case to anyone
Original post by Princepieman
Hence why it is poor information.. Sadly, a lot of TSRians use sources like this to dole out misinformation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just like you are biased towards Warwick?
Just like you are biased towards Warwick?

I don't see how stating an entry requirement that doesn't exist = someone being biased.. But ok, cool, I am-ish.
Original post by Princepieman
I don't see how stating an entry requirement that doesn't exist = someone being biased.. But ok, cool, I am-ish.

Everyone can make their judgements based on reliable sources and that's what i did. When you say something, i assume you use facts plus your own judgement when you say something too.
Original post by jneill
2018 entry has pretty much the same exam regime as 2017 (A-level reform applies from 2017 entry onwards).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah well 7A*s guidance was also accounting for stiff competition of the courses too. Get over it.
Reply 94
Get over it.

Just when I thought you had.

Ho hum.
Original post by jneill
Just when I thought you had.

Ho hum.

Jesus christ, are you on TSR like 24/7?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending