The Student Room Group
Reply 1
"A latin abbreviation for quod erat demonstrandum. It means "which was to be shown" in English. It is used at the end of a proof to show that the proof has been completed. "

I didn't know myself, had to look it up.
Reply 2
Fluffstar
hey wonder if any maths-y people can help me out - what does QED mean? it's been bugging me for ages! (as far as im concerned it means "go me! I finished the question!" :wink:)
Also when are you supposed to use it properly?

It means "Finished, Phew!" :smile:
it means "quod erat demonstrandum" - as has been shown. Although gcse latin sucked it had some purposes :smile:
sorry Nylex - am blind - didn't notice that you said whayt it actually meant. :smile:
Reply 5
Text_Box
It means "Finished, Phew!" :smile:

I got a bit carried away in my P3 and put it at the end of a question just to try and show that i knew what i was doing, u know, get halfway through your workings, get stuck, shove an equals in there and write the answer youve been told to show with QED underlined <grin>
Reply 6
I usually put W^5 at the end of my proofs (Which Was What Was Wanted). Or just "as required"...I hate Latin, although my teachers showed us what QED was.
Reply 7
I prefer to think of QED as that little thing you write in a exam after completeing a proof correctly just to really show the examiner who is boss. :wink:
Reply 8
Leekey
I prefer to think of QED as that little thing you write in a exam after completeing a proof correctly just to really show the examiner who is boss. :wink:

"Quite Easily Done" :wink:
Reply 9
QED also stands for "Quantum Electrodynamics", "Question Everything Done", "Quickly Ends Dandruff", "Quite Easily Done", etc.
Squishy
I usually put W^5 at the end of my proofs (Which Was What Was Wanted). Or just "as required"...I hate Latin, although my teachers showed us what QED was.

We use the tombstone symbol at the end of our proofs. I haven't had a lecturer who has put QED instead.

Maybe thats because the tombstone symbol was invented by a guy from Sheffield University. :cool: :tongue:

Latest