The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Is Reading a bad uni?

Basically I want to study nutrition and food science and I'm thinking about firming Reading because their course seems amazing and the facilities are great. However, I'm predicted A*AA and I'm worried that Reading will be below my potential and I will feel out of place there. Can anyone help me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by senpaipoppy
Basically I want to study nutrition and food science and I'm thinking about firming Reading because their course seems amazing and the facilities are great. However, I'm predicted A*AA and I'm worried that Reading will be below my potential and I will feel out of place there. Can anyone help me?

Not sure about ur course but for real estate, reading is the best in the country
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jamessmith15
Not sure about ur course but for real estate, reading is the best in the country

Do you think overall, it's a pretty good/decent uni?

Hi,

If you really like the course and facilities, I suggest you come to Reading. We also have great placement connections, and according to the Complete University Guide Reading are ranked 6th in 2016. So we are up there.
I don't think you will feel out of place, because there are many people in Reading that work hard, take their degree seriously and you will be lectured by experts in their field. We also have a library which is modern and open 24/7 apart from Saturday nights.
We also have a great students union, in the top ten in the UK, 150 sports clubs and societies and lots going on. Have a look at the link https://www.rusu.co.uk/activities/ to see what else we have going on.

The best advice I will give you is if you love the course, then come to Reading because we have great facilities and opportunities. I am also having a great time and am really enjoying it, and I like to think you will too.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Emma :smile:
2nd Year Human and Physical Geographer.
Reading is decent
I'm also predicted pretty high (A*A*AA although I'm more likely going to get something like AAAB) and I've applied for law. I firmed Reading because it seems great. When I went to an open day I spoke to 1st and 2nd year students who were in similar situation and they all said they love it, so you should definitely do it if you like it
Reply 6
Original post by shaggyhoover
I'm also predicted pretty high (A*A*AA although I'm more likely going to get something like AAAB) and I've applied for law. I firmed Reading because it seems great. When I went to an open day I spoke to 1st and 2nd year students who were in similar situation and they all said they love it, so you should definitely do it if you like it

Thank you! It is good to know there are other people like me
Reply 7
My current flatmate rejected an oxbridge uni after getting A*A*A*A*A (can't remember which uni at this second) to come to Reading, admittedly his course isn't widely offered but still. Reading is certainly good. The campus draws a lot of people too. I wouldn't be surprised if within 5 years we're ranked in the top 20, which given how good some uni's are in the UK, is really good.

At the end of the day, if you feel like you'd do better in St Andrews or Warwick or something, and you prefer the universities "feel", location, atmosphere and campus, then go there. But frankly, for this sort of intermediate-high level uni, I think we're the best. Once you get outside the top 13 (going off Guardians league tables), there's no uni that I would of gone to over Reading given the choice, regardless of grades.

Another thing - A first from Reading is far better than a 2:2 from Southampton or whatever, so don't go somewhere much higher if you think it'll drastically impact your results.

Oh also, A level grades don't mean you'll find it easier. A Level is very different from Uni work. If you had people pushing you through your A levels or went to private school or whatever, you cannot sit back and think you'll be fine just because you've shown your capable of getting good grades (bar 1st year, for most). University is all about showing to employers that you can learn how to learn efficiently and independently. If you need people to tell you when to revise, you won't do as well as you think.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Abcjellie
My current flatmate rejected an oxbridge uni after getting A*A*A*A*A (can't remember which uni at this second) to come to Reading, admittedly his course isn't widely offered but still. Reading is certainly good. The campus draws a lot of people too. I wouldn't be surprised if within 5 years we're ranked in the top 20, which given how good some uni's are in the UK, is really good.

At the end of the day, if you feel like you'd do better in St Andrews or Warwick or something, and you prefer the universities "feel", location, atmosphere and campus, then go there. But frankly, for this sort of intermediate-high level uni, I think we're the best. Once you get outside the top 13 (going off Guardians league tables), there's no uni that I would of gone to over Reading given the choice, regardless of grades.

Another thing - A first from Reading is far better than a 2:2 from Southampton or whatever, so don't go somewhere much higher if you think it'll drastically impact your results.

Oh also, A level grades don't mean you'll find it easier. A Level is very different from Uni work. If you had people pushing you through your A levels or went to private school or whatever, you cannot sit back and think you'll be fine just because you've shown your capable of getting good grades (bar 1st year, for most). University is all about showing to employers that you can learn how to learn efficiently and independently. If you need people to tell you when to revise, you won't do as well as you think.

guessing ur mates course is real estate?

Reading isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but in my honest opinion A*AA is wasted potential at reading and you probably would be a little out of place.
If you feel the uni, then follow your gut.
Original post by Oilfreak1
Reading isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but in my honest opinion A*AA is wasted potential at reading and you probably would be a little out of place.

That's what I was worried about but the thing is the only other uni I would consider would be Leeds and although the uni has a better reputation and apparently an amazing social life, the facilities and the course at Reading seem better and the course is accredited at Reading which it isn't at Leeds. Surely, the quality of the course is more important than the overall reputation of the uni?
Original post by jamessmith15
guessing ur mates course is real estate?

Nah, Classics (Not classical studies - they are different he tells me)
That's what I was worried about but the thing is the only other uni I would consider would be Leeds and although the uni has a better reputation and apparently an amazing social life, the facilities and the course at Reading seem better and the course is accredited at Reading which it isn't at Leeds. Surely, the quality of the course is more important than the overall reputation of the uni?

The ranking difference between Leeds and Reading is miniscule, really an employer is not going to care which you went to. It only makes a difference if it's exeter or something. But yea, if you're a big clubber and that excellent social side is required then look at Leeds. You don't get that sort of nightlife down south without going to London.
(edited 8 years ago)

Between the 2 there's no real difference however going to either will be selling yourself short.

If you want my honest advice, take a gap year and reapply to places like Imperial/oxbridge and failing these going to Edinburgh, KCL or Manchester even if for broader subjects like biological sciences.The 3 "realistic" alternatives are (relative to other UK institutions) global power houses in biological sciences so if you fall short of the very best these will still place you much better than your current choices.

Another reason I would advocate a gap year is that Food sciences is a painfully specific degree, it would be wiser to choose something broader like nat sci/biological sciences and then if you're still interested in food sciences take a 1 year msc in the subject, this way you can still break into whatever industries you felt food sciences would allow you to get into as well as having many more avenues to take your career into.
Original post by Oilfreak1
Between the 2 there's no real difference however going to either will be selling yourself short.

If you want my honest advice, take a gap year and reapply to places like Imperial/oxbridge and failing these going to Edinburgh, KCL or Manchester even if for broader subjects like biological sciences.The 3 "realistic" alternatives are (relative to other UK institutions) global power houses in biological sciences so if you fall short of the very best these will still place you much better than your current choices.

Another reason I would advocate a gap year is that Food sciences is a painfully specific degree, it would be wiser to choose something broader like nat sci/biological sciences and then if you're still interested in food sciences take a 1 year msc in the subject, this way you can still break into whatever industries you felt food sciences would allow you to get into as well as having many more avenues to take your career into.

I don't want to take a gap year and I don't want to change what course I'm studying. I'm genuinely really excited to have chosen Nutrition and food science, it's exactly what I want to study and I don't like the look of anything else. I don't want to spend 3 years studying something I don't want to do, accumulating debt and then have to go and do a masters when I already know what I want to do as an undergrad. Also, the career prospects as a food science graduate are actually really good.
I don't want to take a gap year and I don't want to change what course I'm studying. I'm genuinely really excited to have chosen Nutrition and food science, it's exactly what I want to study and I don't like the look of anything else. I don't want to spend 3 years studying something I don't want to do, accumulating debt and then have to go and do a masters when I already know what I want to do as an undergrad. Also, the career prospects as a food science graduate are actually really good.

Out of curiosity, what jobs do food science grads go into? Mainly Nutritionists?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Out of curiosity, what jobs do food science grads go into? Mainly Nutritionists?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, that's only a small part of the jobs they do actually. There are things like new product development, quality assurance, food manufacturing, ingredient sourcing/supplying, product marketing and promotion, so it's pretty broad within the food industry
Classics is offered at Oxford, why would someone with that capability choose a barely top-35 university?
No, that's only a small part of the jobs they do actually. There are things like new product development, quality assurance, food manufacturing, ingredient sourcing/supplying, product marketing and promotion, so it's pretty broad within the food industry

Ahh, I see! Sounds quite varied.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending