Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is Reading a bad uni?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

(Original post by ukulele)
    You really need to forget everything the league tables are telling you to be honest. They're made up of opinions from people who've probably never actually been to the universities anyway. What you want to be looking at is the results from the National Student Survey, which is done every year by final year students and evaluates how they feel about their course, the staff, the halls, the town itself, the campus, and the career prospects.
    Reading is one of the top universities in the country for Food Science, so I really don't think you're punching below your weight here. Also, most of the people I know here got three A's at A level or higher - I don't really know many people with any grades below a B. You should maybe think about adjusting your attitude if you think that you're "too good" for Reading, because the difficulty of a course is not impacted by the university's reputation - you will have to work hard wherever you go. Plus, a Food Science degree from Reading, who have a great reputation for it, will be a lot more attractive to employers than a Food Science degree from a uni with a higher overall position on a league table but a more average reputation for your particular course.
    The percentage of people gaining 2:1 degrees is not the university's fault, by the way. It's entirely up to the student how they do, because it's so independent. That means 90% of Reading students work hard enough to get a 2:1. which is pretty impressive when you think about it.
    One last thing - I'm in St George's halls, standard en suite, and I love it! There are hardly any mature students and all the international students are in the same block, so everyone else is really sociable, and the JCR who run events and organise Freshers are amazing (I should know, 3 of them are my flatmates ), and there's always something going on. Plus the rooms are the newest standard en suite rooms at the uni.
    Good luck in your exams!
    Hey, thanks that was really interesting and helped me. I've kinda got over the whole "I think I'm better than Reading" thing and I'm actually really excited because it does really seem like a great uni! When I did my accommodation application a couple of weeks ago, I put St. George's as my firm choice so I'm really happy that you said you loved it because I was scared that it was kind of far from everything else and that it would be unsocial. Also, what is the overall social side of the uni like? Does the university and town have a good social/night life because some people have said that it is a bad town?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.