Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Previous study - eligible for new loan?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    I am a bit confused about eligibility for loans if you have had student finance before..

    I began a course in 2010 but suspended my studies in Feb 2012 part way through my second year due to severe depression, I resumed my studies and began my second year again in September 2012 but dropped out of uni properly in Dec 2012.

    Does this mean I have had 3 years of funding even if I have only had one full year of university?

    I finally feel able to go back and have accepted an offer to study a completely different degree in September.

    Will I get the tuition fee loan for all three years as I was ill? Or will I only get funding for one year? (3 years plus extra year take the three years previous study)


    The calculation student finance use for deciding how much funding you will get is: length of course - previous years of study + 1 gift year = loan entitlement. But if you had to leave your degree for health reasons then you can apply for 'compelling personal reasons' which should allow you to get a loan. This explains it better than I could: http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/di...px?DocID=25908
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2016
Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.