The Student Room Group

Is it a reliable thing to meet a online friend?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abstract_Prism
What's the difference?

I tend to think of it as at least "partially lodged" in the public domain, but that the concept tends to wash over virtually every last one of us because we are all, either consciously or subliminally programmed in utter extremes of age, come disparity of years, prejudice, and discrimination. Such, our world/society (UK?) genuinely believes that elapsed time since birth/chronological age is information beyond the microscope. Real age is a measure for/should be a measure for (but there are several directions for this) actual age/change/ bodily composition, and performance, to include a measure for personality and vitality, ideally. Our society makes sweeping assessments merely on account the passage of time, a commodity which none of us even owe anything too. I believe that the rate at which we do tend to age has a significant amount to say for this said same mind set.
www.celebritydiscodave/world records.co.uk - I`m in my sixties!
(edited 8 years ago)
Maybe talk for a little longer before you meet up, perhaps on the phone or via Skype?

Posted from TSR Mobile
errm, you on about stuff like facebook twitter etc or forums. on the former: I only add people I know so i meet them anyways / keep in contact whenever I can be bothered).

the latter: Id be aprehensive about it as you dont really know everything about the person
Original post by RobML
My favourite part is " See my latest You Tube videos by googling Celebritydiscodave. I`m soon to be talking on the subject of psychopath fostering in family court. See you there??" What even...

The heck, just noticed that
'She' was talking about meeting friends, and then, that...
:dontknow:

Also have a look at the one at the top of this page, that's weird too
Reply 24
Original post by Alexion

I'm actually impressed by how complex and relevant the posts are; seems more advanced than any chatbot I've messed about with. But at least she's not going to beat the Turing test any time soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
I looked through their other posts, they are odd and a bot would explain it. Noy sure though its werid they claim to be a 60 year old ll, but not wanting to be rude the replies are drivel.
Original post by Alexion

(Original post by RobML)
My favourite part is " See my latest You Tube videos by googling Celebritydiscodave. I`m soon to be talking on the subject of psychopath fostering in family court. See you there??" What even...The heck, just noticed that

The reason that children are on occasion handed over to narcissistic psychopaths, even psychopathic "killers", (my definition being at least two serious calculated attempts to kill), is that they tend to do a perfect job on the victim, the mother, whilst at the same time putting on a perfect performance themselves. This may occur quite frequently because psychopaths go virtually entirely unnoticed in our society, except of course by their made powerless victims, They then, having won the house and the income, go on to barter the children`s lives for sexual favor. It not only works, but social workers tend to the thinking that the two of them are actually getting back together again, and the psychopath receives further praises for his good work.- The whole system here actually operates in co-hoots with psychopaths, and this is why they "do n`t exist". Psychopaths, they are common, are our masters of deceit, deception, manipulation, and control. The family court environment fosters their psychopathic traits in the same way that pushing weights at a gym fosters muscle. They excel themselves when challenged.

This can all become relevant from here, (cyber space), because here/this place best enables deception, a key psychopathic trait - The risks are considerably higher by way this medium, trust me! You are the most at risk group. Mad`s world was taken control of by a psychopath from the age of fourteen, and from there it can be life long. It may begin in an apparently quite normal relationship. There are numerous tests you might deploy to weed out psycho/sociopaths, but they can only begin to work when it may already be too late.

Now look at this one...Check my website to know exactly who I am in the real world.

NB The system believes only what the psychopath wishes it to believe, it believes that Scott, the psychopathic killer, is the perfect father, and that the real world perfect mother, Madison (she`s 24 yrs.), is defective, and cannot be wholly trusted with her children. The psycho beat her to a pulp regularly, twice virtually killing her. The trigger was jealousy - Compliment them, and make them feel good about themselves, whilst planning your escape. I believe that her daughter might become his next victim, she`s six yrs old. - Our system is full of professional idiots!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RobML
I'm actually impressed by how complex and relevant the posts are; seems more advanced than any chatbot I've messed about with. But at least she's not going to beat the Turing test any time soon

Help, she's back

I'll agree it is quite impressive, but it's drifting onto more irrelevant topics

Quite scary actually
I`m sorry, truly, yes, it is scary, it`s just that I`m so concerned for the plight of girl kind, My home is a sanctuary for young women, and so I share their sufferings with them. You have, as a group, far more than your fare share of suffering in this evil world. I`m not female, I`m a sixty year old male.
Original post by Kates David
You are only on around 20% of full communication here, additionally, anyone can apparently be anything which they want to be. Despite all of this the odds are still well in your favor. All the same the risks must surely be very significantly heightened over meeting a guy by way a natural platform. Guys are of course relatively high risk to begin with.
Not now, I`m sixty now, I`m content to merely compete over physical world records, but certainly up until my early fifties, I was inclined to deal in "real age" rather than merely time elapsed since birth. Young women are only interested in period of time since birth of course, not one`s actual age, and I may not be the only guy around such predisposed. The redeeming trait where I was concerned was that I genuinely preferred friendships, close friendships mind, over romance, this even going right back to my teen years.; I`ve always both considered, and experienced to be, friendship (genuine/unconditional) to be superior to conventional all emotional love. However, I do not wish to meet up with anyone, so do not be alarmed. I`m a landlord, and my house is already chocked with young women as it is!! See my latest You Tube videos by googling Celebritydiscodave. I`m soon to be talking on the subject of psychopath fostering in family court. See you there??
It is not genuinely possible to know that you have got to know somebody from merely on line experience. It only works if they are genuine, and with such restricted communication there is no measure for this commodity. Psychopaths off line would be just as hard to figure! I`d suggest only meeting if there is a large group of you, including males, ideally.

wtf are you rambling about?
Reply 31
I`m sorry, truly, yes, it is scary, it`s just that I`m so concerned for the plight of girl kind, My home is a sanctuary for young women, and so I share their sufferings with them. You have, as a group, far more than your fare share of suffering in this evil world. I`m not female, I`m a sixty year old male.

What is 1 divided by 0?
I met my best friend on this site and before we met, we chatted through text and Snapchat first for nearly a year before we met in person. I definitely agree that you should Snapchat or Skype before meeting so you can be sure of who they are and also so you get to know each other better as there is only so much you can tell about people through text or mails. We have met up 3 times now and she was even at my mum's hen night recently and we text and Snapchat every day so I do think meeting people online is fine, just get to know them well first and if you are young especially, always tell someone you are going to meet your friend and always meet in a public place at first.
I'd say webcam/skype the person first. At least then you would know if they aren't a catfish or not.

And like others said, meet in very public places.
I've done it a million times with people I've known for less than a day :lol: Haven't died yet :rofl: But then again I'm a little reckless so...
Original post by bluemadhatter
I've done it a million times with people I've known for less than a day :lol: Haven't died yet :rofl: But then again I'm a little reckless so...

You are likely not an easy target/a natural victim/over trusting of people... This gives you very considerable advantage. Done what though, you mean met them off line? Did you stick around with any of them for a few years to find out what would happen? - None of us think anything will happen before it does. Killings are not common, but clinical depression, boyfriend induced, is actually very common for your group. From here some of you successfully kill yourselves. Guys are opting for on line that are defective of mind, however, the majority are able to keep the act up until something significant happens. Something which tips them over. This may not be until years later. Only then do you begin to find out what they are. I do take your point though, and I probably do worry a bit too much, at least I hope that I do anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
I agree with everyone else. I have some great friends who I met online and spend time with now.
Definitely Skype first with webcams so you can see this the person they say they are. Then agree to meet in a public place and don't go with them anyone until you can be sure you can trust them.

ETA - If they won't Skype, don't meet them. They must have something to hide. If they have 'camera' problems months on end, don't believe them. Who doesn't have access to a camera. Can be on a phone or laptop or borrowed quickly from a friend or family member one day.
Just watch the TV show 'catchfish' if you don't understand this.
(edited 8 years ago)
You are likely not an easy target/a natural victim/over trusting of people... This gives you very considerable advantage. Done what though, you mean met them off line? Did you stick around with any of them for a few years to find out what would happen? - None of us think anything will happen before it does. Killings are not common, but suicides are.

Majority of them I only ever hung out with once or twice :lol: But yeah just because I go and meet a stranger does not mean I trust them etc - its just boredom cause I have no real friends :cry2:
I`m sixty years old, have worked relentlessly at having friends all of my life, and now, apart from Madison, whom I`m really trusting is my dearest loving friend, I do n`t have any what I`d consider to be "friends" either - I`ve always needed genuine/unconditional and close friendships. I`ve always given this out, but until Madison, and I`m not even 100% certain of her yet, I`ve never received the same back. Even if she turns out to be the first truly genuine and close friend I`ve ever had, and therefore am perhaps ever likely to get, from her prospective, she`s 24, I`m sixty, and she has a boyfriend whom she loves. I do mean more than she loves me. Even if it really is true, and I hope to God that it is, it might still fail, and at any time.
All we have for sure is our resilience, our ability to believe, our ability to never quit. You may like me experience what most might experience as being friends, as no more than mere acquaintances. Whilst to love and to be loved means so much, genuine/unconditional and enthusiastic friendship means even more... It is the most superior form of love. I sincerely do believe that your suffering comes solely as consequence to you being special/having a great depth of being/of soul/having greater than ordinary capacity for relationships. You can suffer far less through loving yourself far more. You deserve this love, and you are the best person to provide yourself with it. Trust me, you are special, it will work, I`ve been there, I am there, just give it time.
Sh...t, it`s hard getting badges around here!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sportycb
I agree with everyone else. I have some great friends who I met online and spend time with now.
Definitely Skype first with webcams so you can see this the person they say they are. Then agree to meet in a public place and don't go with them anyone until you can be sure you can trust them.

ETA - If they won't Skype, don't meet them. They must have something to hide. If they have 'camera' problems months on end, don't believe them. Who doesn't have access to a camera. Can be on a phone or laptop or borrowed quickly from a friend or family member one day.
Just watch the TV show 'catchfish' if you don't understand this.

I agree, Skype will significantly reduce exposure to risk. It wont cover one for gangs/team efforts to deceive, and it wont cover one for incidents occurring within your own peer group. - It merely suggests to what the person at the other end will look like. Yes, a better system for attempting to get to know a person online. Remember though, off line at least, it is actually within your own peer group that most incidents occur, incidents such as sexual abuse, rape, and plane violence. Statistically speaking it is guys within around ten years that present the biggest problem. .However, significantly older guys that want to meet you online are going to be a very high risk group, with perhaps even a large majority of them up to ho good. I`m just out to attempt another world record - www. celebritydiscodave/world records.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending