The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Changing from Mathematics and Economics to Mathematics with Economics

Hi all,

I was wondering how easy (or not) it would be to change degree courses at the LSE. Specifically, to change from Mathematics and Economics to Mathematics with Economics.

I'm asking because I am unsure as to which course I would like to apply for.

If any LSE students could shed any light on this, that would be great.

Thank you!
Original post by londoncricket
Hi all,

I was wondering how easy (or not) it would be to change degree courses at the LSE. Specifically, to change from Mathematics and Economics to Mathematics with Economics.

Thank you!

Easy. Both are more or less identical for the first year. At the start of the second year, send in the degree transfer form with signatures from your academic advisor and department tutor and it should be done for you. Don't worry about it.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by DarkPeople
Easy. Both are more or less identical for the first year. At the start of the second year, send in the degree transfer form with signatures from your academic advisor and department tutor and it should be done for you. Don't worry about it.

Thank you. Are you speaking out of experience?

Also, how much does this cost?

Thanks for your help!
Thank you. Are you speaking out of experience?

Also, how much does this cost?

Thanks for your help!

Haven't done so personally but I know of the process.

It costs nothing!
Haven't done so personally but I know of the process.

It costs nothing!

Okay that's great thank you!

So if two degrees at LSE have the same modules in the 1st year, i can swap to the other degree in the second year if im doing well?

Is this correct?
Thanks
Do people move from Maths and/with Economics to straight Econ?
Original post by akaaashpatel
So if two degrees at LSE have the same modules in the 1st year, i can swap to the other degree in the second year if im doing well?

Is this correct?
Thanks

Seems so!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ♥Samantha♥

That sounds more difficult. Could be possible, but I don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds more difficult. Could be possible, but I don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's possible if you have taken the right modules in your first year to be able to go into second year Economics. This is probably more likely if you took Maths and Econ because that means you'd have 50:50, unlike Maths with Econ which is 75:25 - So there's less extra modules you need to take.
Original post by High Stakes
It's possible if you have taken the right modules in your first year to be able to go into second year Economics. This is probably more likely if you took Maths and Econ because that means you'd have 50:50, unlike Maths with Econ which is 75:25 - So there's less extra modules you need to take.

Thanks. I'm really struggling to decide what to apply for so i want to see how much flexibility with changing courses they give you

edit: i just checked on the LSE website and the first year is exactly the same for maths with econ and maths and econ. the only difference between them and economics is where economics get to choose one option, maths with/and econ have to do abstract maths. so effectively its the same as econ students could choose that as all the non-optional courses are the same.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi all,

Thank you!

It's pretty easy- I know someone who changed from maths with econ to maths and econ really easily without any problems since the courses are identical for the first year. It will be just as easy to switch from maths and econ to maths with econ
Original post by akaaashpatel

Is this correct?
Thanks

Pretty much. I believe the first years of all degrees offered by both the Maths and Stats departments are identical (obviously depending on what you choose as your 4th module in any degree that offers an option).

You are also permitted to transfer from say an Econ-type degree to a Maths/Stats degree if you have achieved the required amount (certain %) in specified modules.
Hi all,

Thank you!

Hey I don't know if you went to the LSE open day today but the Head of Mathematics said that we should just think about them as one degree which diverges into two streams in the 2nd year. The decision of whether you do maths and or maths with economics does not need to be made until the end of the first year and the degree you apply for is not binding whatsoever - you are not expected to know which one you want to do.

He also said the admissions processes for each degree are not done separately. There is an overall number of offers they give across the two degrees and the applications are reviewed in the same process so which one you apply for doesn't effect whether you get in or not. Effectively you are applying for the same degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
[QUOTE=♥Samantha♥;63954319]Hey I don't know if you went to the LSE open day today but the Head of Mathematics said that we should just think about them as one degree which diverges into two streams in the 2nd year. The decision of whether you do maths and or maths with economics does not need to be made until the end of the first year and the degree you apply for is not binding whatsoever - you are not expected to know which one you want to do.

He also said the admissions processes for each degree are not done separately. There is an overall number of offers they give across the two degrees and the applications are reviewed in the same process so which one you apply for doesn't effect whether you get in or not. Effectively you are applying for the same degree.

Does this also apply to Statistics Department where there are 3 degrees under its wing ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey I don't know if you went to the LSE open day today but the Head of Mathematics said that we should just think about them as one degree which diverges into two streams in the 2nd year. The decision of whether you do maths and or maths with economics does not need to be made until the end of the first year and the degree you apply for is not binding whatsoever - you are not expected to know which one you want to do.

Hi Samantha,

I couldn't attend this year's LSE Open Day, unfortunately. However, I went last year.

Thanks for that information! I didn't know this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jj15
Does this also apply to Statistics Department where there are 3 degrees under its wing ?

Hmm I do not know for sure but I believe so as they all have the same first year. it says on the LSE website:

"Please note that the first year of both the Actuarial Science and the Business Mathematics and Statistics degree programme is identical. Applicants should, therefore, apply to only one of the above courses. Movement between the two programmes is common at the start of the second year, subject to satisfactory progress being made in the four first year modules."
Reply 17
Hmm I do not know for sure but I believe so as they all have the same first year. it says on the LSE website:

"Please note that the first year of both the Actuarial Science and the Business Mathematics and Statistics degree programme is identical. Applicants should, therefore, apply to only one of the above courses. Movement between the two programmes is common at the start of the second year, subject to satisfactory progress being made in the four first year modules."

Thanks. It seems the same to me as with the Maths Dept u mentioned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending