Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling depressed. Please help me

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

I am 16 and I'm from Portugal. My family is, since always, financially unstable. And although this difficulty, we were able to go to many countries (this was forced). With a lot of traveling, I was forced to learn new languages and as I was young, I lost a lot of practice in the Portuguese language. We returned to Portugal 3 years ago and since then i have been struggling with school. But, luckily, my community in the education board was able to pay me for my private school where we have the Cambridge curriculum (English became my dominant language after the traveling).

These are the grades I got in this school:

-Physics: A*
    -Biology: A
    -Geography: A*
    -English: B
    -Maths: B

Just because of my ''B's'', they think I don't deserve this help I am getting and one woman indirectly told me I don't have the capacity for school. They also told me that I'm too selfish just because I'm not willing to go to a Portuguese university (which I am but as I'm in a English school, it would most considerate to go to a English University). And something out of the topic, they also said that I'm always at home in my computer and not doing the first step (which I guess it's true), where they compared me with my sister who is apparently 'bright' in their view (I have nothing against my sister)

I'm feeling so depressed and unmotivated and I feel that they have kept me into a lot of pressure where I really don't know what to do next, because they are planning on removing me from this school or changing my school where there is a different curriculum (And I prefer this curriculum as it is most favorable for my career decision, which is Astrophysics).

What do your patents think? Do you have someone at the school you can talk to and trust?

You cna chat to a counselor at Childline a leading UK charity and as its online it wouldnt cost you anything or you could email them.
    They also have a phone helpline but that would mean ringing the UK, although its a freephone number.

It seems to me your problem is that they wnat to move you becayse of your grades and you dont wnat to move. I think it makes sense that if thats what they want then you need to raise your grades so they dont have anything to complain about.

I would speak to the school or your parents an say you really want to stay and that you are prepared to work harder. You would like to be given a chance to improve and of one term at which time they cna decide. If you are making an improved effort and geting hisgher marks then you can stay and if not you will move.

It would then be up o you. pressure, but it would give you a chance to meet what they want.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.