Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

What is second year like in terms of making friends?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

(Original post by marypoppins13)
    Hi all!
    I'm currently finishing up my first year at uni. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a great time. But...looking back I feel i could've made more of an effort to be more social (I had quite bad anxiety at the beginning so this hindered me a lot.By the time I was comfortable with my housemates I feel like I didn't really bother to branch out.)

I feel like I have two best friends here, and a few good friends, and then just acquaintances I see around/ party with sometimes. Our third best friend had to leave suddenly so that has kind of made me re-evaluate. Sorta feeling like I maybe put too much into that friendship (when I feel like we might not even stay in contact.)

So I guess my question is this...is it possible, in joining societies and whatnot, in the second year, to make a close group of friends again? Or is it pretty much set in stone?

Of course it is just put yourself out there!

I'm in a sports club and have loads of friends who joined in their second year and have made their best friends. Second year has probably been more fun that first year because pretty much all the my friends now are friends through want, not just because I happened to be in the same halls with them. I realised that all my 'good friends' from halls were purely out of convenience. The ones I have now are actually because we get on and have things in common.

Also, from personal experience and the experience of others, don't expect to have a huge circle of best friends. I have a few people I'd consider best friends, but most of my friends are just good friends. I.e. we can have a great time, experience things together, etc. but we're probably not going to be 24/7 mates after we graduate. That being said, we probably will stay in contact (well I hope so anyway).

Same friends as 1st year.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.