The Student Room Group

Do I have to apply for MPhys or Bsc?

I want take a Master degree course in Physics with Astrophysics. But in most universities There is Physics with Astrophysics Bsc 3 years or Physics with Astrophysics MPhys 4 years. If I want to do my Masters, should I straightaway apply for MPhys or do I have to apply for Bsc and then MPhys?
Original post by shneebnee
I want take a Master degree course in Physics with Astrophysics. But in most universities There is Physics with Astrophysics Bsc 3 years or Physics with Astrophysics MPhys 4 years. If I want to do my Masters, should I straightaway apply for MPhys or do I have to apply for Bsc and then MPhys?

don't know much about this stuff... but i'm pretty sure you can apply straight for a masters
You can apply for the masters straight away, if you ended up applying for the BSc though I think if you do well in the first couple of years you can apply to transfer to the masters. Also compare your predicted grades to the entry requirements, usually the masters asks for higher grades, but not always.
Original post by shneebnee
I was given the option towards the end of year 2, to complete one more year for the BSc or two more years for MPhys.
Only the last two years of results counted towards the final grade, so by opting for MPhys the 2nd year results were ignored.
Reply 4
Normally it doesn't matter as the BSc and MPhys will be the same for the first 2 years so you should have up till then to decide providing you meet whatever grade requirements the MPhys has.
Go for the MPhys straight off if there is a chance that you want to do it.
You will have the funding in place and it should be locked in for the 4 years
You can drop to the BSc, normally to the end of the 2nd year, if you don't like the course when you are there.
You will likely be offered the BSc if you near miss your offer for the MPhys

Alternatively you have the option to do a BSc, and would have to apply for a 1 year taught Masters course, but this could be elsewhere if there is a uni/course that fits well into the research project that you wanted to do
I'm in my 3rd Astrophysics (Bsc) and was thinking of transferring to MPhys. Personally. I'd suggest if your applying and not yet on an undergraduate course - apply for the Bsc. You will have the chance up until the 3rd year pretty much to switch to the Mphys - applying straight away for the Mphys you are only making it tougher for yourself entry grades wise. Also, bare in mind that an Mphys is not the same as an MSc Physics - you do not get the BSc doing an Mphys as you go straight into the master year and after that it is your degree. I decided to apply for an Msc after I finish my Bsc Astrophysics since I know I'll have my BSc to fall back on if the masters went wrong for some reason!

I'm not sure which uni you are applying to, but in my uni that's how it works. Good luck OP!
Original post by Colinj451
Go for the MPhys straight off if there is a chance that you want to do it.
You will have the funding in place and it should be locked in for the 4 years
You can drop to the BSc, normally to the end of the 2nd year, if you don't like the course when you are there.
You will likely be offered the BSc if you near miss your offer for the MPhys

Alternatively you have the option to do a BSc, and would have to apply for a 1 year taught Masters course, but this could be elsewhere if there is a uni/course that fits well into the research project that you wanted to do

Thats not true, there is, at every uni I looked at, the option to change up to the mphys if you meet the required percentage (guaranteed to be able to change as long as you meet the percentage) and you still get the funding too from sfe
Original post by madmadmax321
Thats not true, there is, at every uni I looked at, the option to change up to the mphys if you meet the required percentage (guaranteed to be able to change as long as you meet the percentage) and you still get the funding too from sfe

I meant that if you did your BSc and then went on to do a separate Masters as a MSc. It can be useful if you don't meet the MPhys requirements, but still want to do a Masters, changing universities if that is preferred at that point. The MSc is £10,000 for a years tuition however
I did state that you can switch between the BSC and MPhys courses at most unis up to the end of the second year (At which point they diverge)

Everywhere we went on Open Days said that if you feel that you might want to do a 4 year Masters then apply for that one directly via UCAS. There is no point applying for both courses as it just takes up two of your choices and they will allow movement between them

The single MPhys application is a more rounded and safer 4 year route, the BSc and then a separate MSc could lead to a more focussed Masters although not everywhere does a taught MSc Masters and certainly not in all research areas

Of course the other option is a BSc and then apply for a PhD research place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending