Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Latin OCR GCSE - Set Texts

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hi guys, I was just wondering if you had any ideas on how to memorise the Nisus and Euryalus & Pliny the Elder set texts. I'm finding it pretty hard to memorise so any techniques/methods would be appreciated. Thanks!

Omg someone else is doing Nisus!!

So I'm a kinaesthetic learner so I act it out kinda and divide it into very very many sections ( I think I'm on 50 mini sections) and recite and it sticks in

My friend recites and reads it daily but no body got time for that

I'm not doing Pliny I'm doing Cicero but I'm sure the same techniques apply

I am doing Virgil and Pliny too, book 9 of the Aeneid, avunculus meus and tres feminae. I find memorising it time consuming but I just write it out and say one line, memorise it, say the next line and then say both of them together and continue like that. I find this method helpful for me but I know my friends have other ways of memorising it for example, they write out the English on alternate lines and fill in the Latin in the middle and they write these on flashcards.

But I personally don't look at the Latin whilst memorising the English but I make sure that I am able to tell which bit of the English matches the Latin by focussing on a few words that stand out from the Latin (I don't know if this makes sense). Then I learn the analysis separately with the Latin alone.

(Original post by PlinyTheElder)
    Hi guys, I was just wondering if you had any ideas on how to memorise the Nisus and Euryalus & Pliny the Elder set texts. I'm finding it pretty hard to memorise so any techniques/methods would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I'm doing exactly the same papers as you! I just say them over and over and over again out loud until I can do it off by heart. But you don't have to do that - there are people in my class who can translate it if they see the latin, but can't recite it all in one go. Both work just as well I think.

The best thing to do is make sure you know the meanings of the individual words in Latin - not just a massive chunk of translation - because otherwise you will be unable to do the 10-markers effectively. Doing that also helps with the whole translation, I find, as it's easier to piece together.

Good luck

Bro you cant. thats the thing. Its latin. just give up .... is what you are thinking right now
    stop thinking like that and just get out and stare at that paper until the fire in your eyes cause the paper to burn.
    And that son... is how u dont get a U in latin.
    if u think u cant memorize it, you are subconciously putting yourself in a place where u can't imagine ur self doing it. if u can't, well,
    ur brain will think tis not worth. ctrl + alt +del

How do you successfully answer eight markers I struggle with them so much

(Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy)
    How do you successfully answer eight markers I struggle with them so much
    Eight-markers are, in my opinion, the hardest part of the exam!

I'd say that the most important thing to do is leave enough time to answer it fully (but equally don't waste time on the eight-marker that you should be spending on the ten-marker and other questions)

I can't remember precisely, but I think my teacher said aim to spend a minimum of twelve minutes on it (but don't go too far over that)

Make sure you know the text well enough that even if you can't conjure up the word by word translation, you know the story well enough to reference it closely (eg rather than direct translating 'he launched warships; he himself embarked, not only to bring help to Rectina but to many' you could just say 'when Pliny leaves his home of relative safety, he embarks on a mission to save as many people as he can' - this shows his heroism blah di blah - just saying Pliny rescues lots of people isn't really detailed enough)

Make sure you make at least six points, but more if you can.

If it is the Pliny Set Text, and the question is very general, make sure you refer to all three texts! (obviously, if it is only about Pliny the Elder, or only Arria, then don't do that)

I make a quick jot-down plan of what each paragraph will be about , and that is essentially my introduction in my answer.

Hope that helped - good luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.