The Student Room Group

Is work necessary to feel good?

Doug Stanhope says quit your job unless you absolutely love it:

[video="youtube;Q9GNMDToTvc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9GNMDToTvc[/video]

(first few minutes of the stand-up - kids beware it's a bit rude in places and talks about drug use).

But I don't know. I felt pretty awful this morning going to work in my, to some other people, boring admin/general job, but now it's over I feel I've been out and had social contact to boot. I walk to work so get exercise this way. I'm lazy so get little other exercise. I earn min wage but at least I got some money (more than I'd get on welfare). it also controls my drinking, as I can't drink on the job or too much outside it, in case I start stinking of alcohol on the job.

I don't know whether I'm trying to rationalise so I stick with my **** job like he says people do, but I genuinely think I'd feel worse if I'd sat at home all day watching tv or something...I've had a year of unemployment in the past and was miserable.

Sure I would have more free time to play my guitar and piano and maybe make something of it, but from experience, it's unlikely that I'd spend more time playing just because I'm in the house all day. I'd likely get depressed and stop doing everything.

Idk

This Doug Stanhope will probably die young like Bill Hicks. Doug's funny though admittedly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
for most, it's welfare or **** job. This is what some people forget. Look up the stats for how much traffic you'd actually need to make money off a website, for example.
If you are one with Allah, you will always feel good.
Reply 3
Original post by Muhammad_Iqbal
islamaphobic

yep
Reply 4
Well we all have to earn a living, so obviously quitting a job you don't like is not a very easy reality for everyone.

But I think people should start finding their passion and pursuing work in that area instead. You don't wanna reach 70 then look back and realised you spent 40 years of your life in jobs you hated; that would be awful.

But you can of course, and should, see the benefits and make the best out of what job you have at present.
Original post by nolifer
yep

May Allah forgive you, and not send you to hellfire.

Quick Reply

Latest